Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary For Commis III
As a Commis III, you will be an important member of the kitchen team, responsible for preparing and cooking a variety of dishes under the guidance of senior chefs. Your duties will include chopping, slicing, and preparing ingredients, cooking and plating dishes, and maintaining a clean and organized kitchen environment.
To succeed in this role, you will need to have a passion for cooking, strong attention to detail, and the ability to work well under pressure. You should also be a good team player, able to take direction and work collaboratively with other members of the kitchen team.
In addition to your daily duties, you will also have the opportunity to learn from more experienced chefs, develop your culinary skills, and progress in your career as a chef. So if you are a hardworking, enthusiastic individual with a love of food and a desire to learn, then this could be the perfect job for you.
The Commis III chef will be assisting the Commis II and Commis I chefs as well as other kitchen employees in food production. Assisting kitchen staff in maintaining high cuisine standards for function clients as well as delegates. You will be also responsible for assisting the CDP and Sous Chef in cooking and then ensuring that all stations are clean.
Additionally, they are responsible for preparing special meals or substitute items, regulating the temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc. Pull food from freezer storage to thaw in the refrigerator and Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and garnish foods, etc.
Commis III Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide the highest and most efficient level of hospitality service to the hotel guests.
- Works in the designated station as set by Executive Chef and/or Sous Chef.
- Able to organize the assigned work area and efficiently put away orders.
- Able to prepare and sell food within recommended time frames to meet Guest expectations.
- Able to operate kitchen equipment like braising pans, baking ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers.
- Able to produce a quality product in a timely and efficient manner for the guests or staff.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness, and sanitation at the assigned work area.
- Responsible for preparing and cooking all food items by the recipe and to specification.
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food.
- Prepare all menu items by strictly following recipes and yield guide.
- Cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Prepares, seasons, and cooks a wide variety of meats, vegetables, soups, breakfast dishes, and other food items.
- Slices, grinds and cooks meats and vegetables using a full range of cooking methods.
- Wash and peel fresh fruits, and vegetables and also able to weigh, measure, and mix ingredients in correct proportions.
- Have general knowledge of cooking temperatures, making soups & sauces, preparing entrees, vegetable preparation, and a la carte cooking.
- Set up the station with par stocks of menu items, and prepare the dishes designated for that station.
- Checks supplies and prep lists and ensures all items are prepped in a timely fashion.
- Replenishes service lines as needed and restocks and prepares the workstation for the next shift.
- Ensures that all products are stored properly in the correct location at the appropriate levels at all times.
- Inform the Chef of excess food items for use in daily specials.
- Keep the work area at all times in hygienic conditions according to the rules set by the hotel.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods and report any incidents to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
- Serve food in proper portions on to correct serving vessels and plates.
- As a Commis, you are also expected to comply with the conditions of the food hygiene policies.
- Accepting store deliveries is also part of the Commis III Chef’s duties.
- Coordinate and participate with other sections of requirements, cleanliness, wastage, and cost control.
- Control food stock and food costs in his section/kitchen.
- Cook food and prepare top-quality menu items promptly.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods.
- Ensure the highest standards and consistent quality in the daily preparation and keep up to date with the new products, recipes, and preparation techniques
- Ensure and prepare mise-en-place for banquets and restaurant buffets as per the F.P.
- Follow and maintain cleanliness and good hygiene practices in the kitchen.
- Operate kitchen equipment safely and responsibly.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- To be present in the assigned kitchen as and when required and also an internal transfer after 2-3 months in others as per management policy.
- To assist the chef with chopping, packing, and helping/learning with dishes.
- Attend the training being conducted and implement it in daily operations and improve the quality of food.
- You would need to follow the cleaning schedules for the kitchen and clean the section and other areas as directed.
- Work according to the menu specifications by the Chef de Partie.
- Need to be flexible and willing to help other departments at busy times as and when required.
Position Title: Commis III or Commis 3
- Great teamwork skills and attention to detail.
- Positive outlook and outgoing personality.
- Able to take responsibility.
- A person who enjoys working in a lively, fast-paced environment, someone who lives his hobby and is passionate about cooking and food.
- This role requires the ability to move and lift to 25 lbs.
- Standing, sitting, or walking for extended periods and ensuring a professional appearance in a clean uniform are also required.
- Flexibility to work in any dining outlet is also necessary to assist as the business requires.
A high school education or diploma in culinary is required. Basic computer skills and familiarity with inventory systems.
Previous Hospitality and Catering industry experience working at a Commis III Chef level in a good-quality restaurant or 5-star hotel.
Interview Questions for a Commis III Position:
- Can you share your culinary background and experience in food preparation, specifically in the context of your role as a Commis III?
- This question assesses the candidate’s culinary experience and skills.
- What types of dishes or cuisines are you most comfortable preparing, and how do you stay informed about new culinary techniques or trends?
- Evaluates the candidate’s culinary knowledge and commitment to continuous learning.
- Can you provide an example of a dish you’ve successfully prepared as a Commis III, and the specific responsibilities you had in its preparation?
- This behavioral question assesses the candidate’s practical experience and level of responsibility.
- How do you handle portion control and maintain consistency in your food preparation, especially when following standardized recipes?
- Assesses the candidate’s attention to detail and ability to adhere to quality standards.
- Have you worked collaboratively in a kitchen team, and how do you contribute to a smooth and efficient kitchen operation as a Commis III?
- This question evaluates the candidate’s teamwork and communication skills.
- What measures do you take to ensure cleanliness and organization in your workspace, and how do you follow food safety and sanitation guidelines?
- Assesses the candidate’s commitment to hygiene and kitchen safety.
- How do you handle time pressure or busy service periods in the kitchen, and what steps do you take to stay focused and deliver high-quality dishes?
- This question assesses the candidate’s ability to handle stress and maintain performance in a fast-paced environment.
- What are your career aspirations in the culinary field, and how do you plan to advance your skills and progress in your role as a Commis III?
- Demonstrates the candidate’s career goals and commitment to professional development.
Salary for a Commis III Position:
The salary for a Commis III can vary based on factors such as location, the type and prestige of the establishment, and the candidate’s level of experience. As of January 2024, the average salary for a Commis III in the United States ranged from $25,000 to $35,000 annually.
It’s important to note that salary ranges can change, and it’s advisable to research current salary trends using industry reports, salary surveys, and job boards specific to your region and the culinary sector. Additionally, consulting with local HR professionals or recruitment agencies can provide insights into the current compensation landscape for Commis III positions.