Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary For Commis I
As a Commis I, you will be responsible for assisting the senior chefs in the kitchen and ensuring that all dishes are prepared and presented to the highest standards. You will need to have a basic understanding of cooking techniques and be able to follow recipes accurately. The role requires you to be well-organized, efficient, and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
You will also be responsible for maintaining a clean and safe work area, including the proper storage and handling of food products. As you gain more experience, you will have the opportunity to develop your skills and progress within the kitchen team. Overall, being a Commis I is a great entry-level position for anyone looking to start a career in the culinary industry.
The Commis I Chef is responsible for preparing a consistent, high-quality food product, ensuring courteous, professional, efficient, and flexible service and hotel operational standards. You will be also responsible for assisting the CDP and Sous Chef in cooking and then ensuring that all stations are clean.
Additionally, He/ She is responsible for preparing special meals or substitute items, regulating the temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc. Pull food from freezer storage to thaw in the refrigerator and Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish.
Range Chef / Commis I Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a Commis, you are also expected to comply with the conditions of the food hygiene policies.
- Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counseling, motivating, and coaching employees serve as a role model.
- Accepting store deliveries is also part of the Commis I Chef duties.
- Coordinate and participate with other sections of requirements, cleanliness, wastage, and cost control.
- Control food stock and food costs in his section/kitchen.
- Cook food and prepare top-quality menu items promptly.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods.
- Commis I Chef are also required to ensure that all stocks are well maintained.
- Commis I also ensure that mise en place for food preparation is completed in your section.
- Ensure the quality of the food items.
- Ensure the highest standards and consistent quality in the daily preparation and keep up to date with the new products, recipes, and preparation techniques
- Ensure and prepare mise-en-place for banquets and restaurant buffets as per the F.P
- Ensure the proper sanitation and cleanliness of surfaces and storage containers.
- Ensure constant innovation in buffet preparation and presentation.
- Follow and maintain cleanliness and good hygiene practices in the kitchen.
- Inform the Chef of excess food items for use in daily specials.
- Inform F&B service staff of available items and available chef’s special menu.
- Keep the work area at all times in hygienic conditions according to the rules set by the hotel
- Monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared.
- Operate kitchen equipment safely and responsibly.
- Prepare the daily mise-en-place and food production in different sections of the main pantry or satellites.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Prepare fresh ingredients for cooking according to recipes/menu.
- Responsible for maintaining food logs.
- Support the Demi Chef de Partie or Commis II in the daily operation and work.
- Test foods to ensure proper preparation and temperature.
- To be present in the assigned kitchen as and when required and also an internal transfer after 2-3 months in others as per management policy.
- To assist chef de partie in preparing food according to the requirements or recipes or standards, and the specifications for his department.
- To assist the chef with chopping, packing, and helping/learning with dishes.
- Attend the training being conducted and implement it in daily operations and improve the quality of food.
- You would need to follow the cleaning schedules for the kitchen and clean the section and other areas as directed.
- Work according to the menu specifications by the Chef de Partie.
- Need to be flexible and willing to help other departments at busy times as and when required.
- Great teamwork skills and attention to detail.
- Positive outlook and outgoing personality.
- Able to take responsibility.
- Be Customer Focus first.
- A person who enjoys working in a lively, fast-paced environment, someone who lives his hobby and is passionate about cooking and food.
- This role requires the ability to move and lift to 25 lbs.
- Standing, sitting, or walking for extended periods and ensuring a professional appearance in a clean uniform are also required.
- Flexibility to work in any dining outlet is also necessary to assist as the business requires.
- A high school education or diploma in culinary is required. Basic computer skills and familiarity with inventory systems.
- Previous Hospitality and Catering industry experience working at a Commis I Chef level in a good-quality restaurant or 5-star hotel.
- One to five years of minimum previous experience is required in a high-volume kitchen or full-service hotel.
Position Title: Commis I / Range Chef
Interview Questions for a Commis I Position:
- Can you describe your experience in culinary roles and any specific training you have received in food preparation?
- This question assesses the candidate’s culinary background and qualifications.
- What types of cuisine or dishes are you most comfortable preparing, and how do you stay updated on culinary trends and techniques?
- Evaluates the candidate’s culinary expertise and commitment to continuous learning.
- Can you share an example of a challenging dish or cooking technique you’ve successfully mastered in your previous roles?
- This behavioral question assesses the candidate’s practical experience and problem-solving skills.
- How do you ensure consistency and quality in your food preparation, especially when following standardized recipes or menu guidelines?
- Assesses the candidate’s attention to quality control and adherence to standards.
- Have you worked in a team environment in a kitchen, and how do you contribute to a collaborative and efficient kitchen operation?
- This question evaluates the candidate’s teamwork and communication skills.
- What measures do you take to maintain a clean and organized workspace, and how do you ensure compliance with food safety and sanitation standards?
- Assesses the candidate’s commitment to hygiene and kitchen safety.
- How do you handle high-pressure situations or busy service periods in the kitchen, and what steps do you take to stay calm and focused?
- This question assesses the candidate’s ability to handle stress and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- What are your career goals in the culinary field, and how do you plan to advance your skills and knowledge as a Commis I?
- Demonstrates the candidate’s ambition and commitment to professional development.
Salary for a Commis I Position:
The salary for a Commis I can vary based on factors such as location, the type and prestige of the establishment, and the candidate’s level of experience. As of January 2024, the average salary for a Commis I in the United States ranged from $30,000 to $40,000 annually.
It’s important to note that salary ranges can change, and it’s advisable to research current salary trends using industry reports, salary surveys, and job boards specific to your region and the culinary sector. Additionally, consulting with local HR professionals or recruitment agencies can provide insights into the current compensation landscape for Commis I positions.