Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Public Area Captain
As the Housekeeping Public Area Captain, your duties will include ensuring that all public areas of the establishment are clean, tidy, and safe for guests and staff. You will be responsible for supervising a team of housekeeping staff, ensuring that they are well-trained, equipped, and motivated to deliver the highest standards of service.
Your role will involve overseeing the inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment, ensuring that they are well-stocked and maintained at all times. You will also be responsible for scheduling and coordinating the daily activities of your team, ensuring that cleaning tasks are completed efficiently and to a high standard.
One of your key responsibilities will be to liaise with other departments, such as front office and maintenance, to ensure a coordinated and seamless approach to guest service. You will be expected to build strong working relationships with colleagues across the establishment, communicating effectively and ensuring that everyone is working towards a common goal.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. You should be able to motivate and inspire your team, and be willing to lead by example. You will need to be self-motivated, with a strong work ethic and a passion for delivering exceptional service.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding role in the hospitality industry, then this could be the perfect opportunity for you. Apply now to take the next step in your career as a Housekeeping Public Area Captain.
The Public Area Captain is responsible for assisting the supervisor and supervising all public area attendants to ensure the proper completion of all tasks.
They should be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with other employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous, and service-oriented manner.
Public Area Captain Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects cleaning cleanliness of public areas according to standard.
- Ensures proper completion of all tasks by the Public area attendants.
- Schedules and delegates tasks to subordinates.
- Supervise the day-to-day cleaning of hotel public areas.
- Perform routine inspections of all public areas, service areas, and storerooms.
- Schedule and supervise deep cleaning and any other projects.
- Supervise and coordinate pest control, flowers, plants, and periodical deep cleaning operations in all areas of responsibility.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment.
- Anticipate guest’s needs, respond promptly, and acknowledge all guests, however busy and according to time of day.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of assigned work areas.
- Assign duties and coordinate breaks for assigned staff.
- Assumes other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Identifies and analyzes problems and reports incidents to superiors.
- Issue supplies/goods to staff at the beginning of a shift to control inventory.
- Report all maintenance defects and follow up with Engineering.
- Complete work orders form for equipment maintenance or repairs and submit to Housekeeping desk control.
- Report all lost and found articles immediately to the desk coordinator.
- Responsible for Check staff grooming and hygiene.
- Complete all paperwork and closing duties before leaving.
- Review the status of assignments and hand over any follow-up action with an on-coming supervisor.
- Controls all equipment and supplies issues and returns.
- Supervises proper care and use of equipment and machines.
- Maintains close coordination with other staff.
- Prepares daily attendance reports.
- Hands over with other shift fills in the logbook.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the housekeeper.
Position Title: Public Area Captain
Reports To: Public Area Supervisor
Service orientated, personality, leadership capabilities
Good health, Neat and pleasant appearance.
High School or Diploma or Hotel Management Diploma.
Two to three years experience in floor or public area management.
Interview Questions For Public Area Captain Position:
When interviewing candidates for a Public Area Captain position, it’s important to assess their leadership skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage and maintain public spaces within a facility. Here are some interview questions and salary details:
- Can you discuss your previous experience in a leadership role, particularly in managing and maintaining public areas in a facility or hotel setting?
- Look for candidates with relevant leadership experience and a clear understanding of the unique challenges associated with public area management.
- How do you ensure that public areas are maintained to the highest standards of cleanliness and presentation?
- Assess the candidate’s attention to detail and their approach to quality control in public space management.
- What strategies do you employ to motivate and manage a team responsible for public area maintenance?
- Evaluate the candidate’s leadership and team management skills, as well as their ability to inspire and develop their team.
- How do you handle guest feedback or complaints related to public areas, and what steps do you take to address and resolve issues?
- Assess the candidate’s customer service and problem-solving skills, especially in dealing with guest concerns related to public spaces.
- Can you share an example of a time when you had to coordinate with other departments to ensure the seamless maintenance of public areas?
- Look for candidates who understand the importance of collaboration and effective communication across different departments.
- What measures do you take to ensure compliance with safety and sanitation standards in public areas?
- Evaluate the candidate’s knowledge of safety and sanitation regulations and their commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy environment for guests and staff.
- How do you stay informed about and incorporate sustainability practices in public area maintenance?
- Assess the candidate’s awareness of sustainability practices and their ability to integrate them into daily operations.
Salary Details Of Public Area Captain:
The salary for a Public Area Captain can vary based on factors such as experience, location, and the size of the establishment. As of January 2023, the salary range for this position in the United States was approximately $40,000 to $60,000 per year. However, salary figures may have changed, so it’s recommended to consult recent industry salary surveys or HR professionals for the most up-to-date information in your specific region or industry. Keep in mind that salaries may also vary depending on the specific responsibilities and requirements of the position.