Job description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Hotel Public Area Attendant position
As a Hotel Public Area Attendant, you will play a vital role in ensuring that guests feel comfortable and welcome during their stay. Your primary responsibility will be to maintain the cleanliness and organization of the hotel’s public areas, including lobbies, hallways, and common spaces. You will be responsible for ensuring that these areas are clean, tidy, and well-stocked with amenities such as towels, toiletries, and refreshments.
In addition to cleaning and restocking, you will also be responsible for responding to guest requests and inquiries in a timely and courteous manner. This may include providing directions, recommending local attractions, or assisting with luggage or other needs.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have excellent communication skills, a friendly and outgoing demeanor, and a strong attention to detail. You should also be comfortable working independently and able to manage your time effectively to ensure that all areas are cleaned and maintained on schedule.
If you are passionate about providing exceptional customer service and have a strong work ethic, then a career as a Hotel Public Area Attendant may be the perfect fit for you.
Keeps all lobbies and public facilities (such as lobby restrooms, telephone area, the front desk, and offices) in a neat and clean condition. Public area attendant promotes a positive image of the property to guests and must be pleasant, honest, and friendly and should also be able to address guest requests and problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cleans rooms, hallways, and restrooms.
- Cleans and maintains restaurants and banquet halls.
- Sweeps carpets.
- Empties ashtrays and urns.
- Polishes furniture and fixtures.
- Vacuums and polishes elevators.
- Keeps the front of the hotel free from trash.
- Cleans rugs, carpets, and upholstered furniture using a vacuum cleaner, broom, and shampoo machine.
- Washes walls and ceilings, moves and arranges furniture, and turns mattresses.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, waxes, and polishes floors.
- Dust and polish metalwork.
- Collects solid linen supplies in floor linen closets.
- Maintains housekeeping carts.
- Removes trash collected by room attendants.
- Attend daily briefings for functions and events held in the hotel.
- To perform daily assigned tasks in toilets, lifts, back areas, terraces, etc.
- Clean and maintain all equipment daily.
- To follow up a special cleaning schedule given by the housekeeping control desk.
- To report maintenance to the supervisor/ housekeeping desk immediately.
- To comply with the Lost and Found Policy of the Hotel.
- To assist Guests in Public Areas when required.
- To have good knowledge of all hotel facilities, hours of operation, Restaurants, shops and function rooms.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory in the Housekeeping closets.
- Post caution signs as and when required.
- Responsible for following departmental policies and procedures.
- Responsible for upkeep of all the equipment which he is using i.e., Vacuum cleaner, trolleys, Scrubbing machine.
- Responsible for maintaining a schedule for cleaning their areas.
- Responsible for spring cleaning of their area as per the schedule given to them.
- Authorized to enter into offices for maintenance or other activities like pest control, shampooing of carpet, etc.
POSITION TITLE: Public Area Attendant
REPORTS: Housekeeping Public Area Supervisor
Physical mobility and stamina are required, the Ability to follow instructions, a Detail-oriented, and Professional attitude is required, Ability to work independently.
High School or equivalent or 1-year diploma in hotel management.
Previous hotel-related experience desired.
When interviewing candidates for a Public Area Attendant position, it’s important to assess their attention to detail, cleanliness standards, and customer service skills. Here are some interview questions and salary details:
Interview Questions For Public Area Position:
- Can you discuss your previous experience in a cleaning or housekeeping role, particularly in maintaining public areas?
- Look for candidates with relevant experience in cleaning and maintaining the cleanliness of public spaces.
- How do you prioritize and organize your tasks to ensure that public areas, such as lobbies and corridors, are clean and presentable at all times?
- Assess the candidate’s organizational and time management skills, especially in a fast-paced environment.
- What measures do you take to ensure safety and cleanliness standards are met in public areas, and how do you handle any issues or spills promptly?
- Evaluate the candidate’s attention to detail and commitment to maintaining a safe and clean environment.
- How do you handle special cleaning requests or specific instructions for public areas, such as events or high-traffic periods?
- Assess the candidate’s adaptability and responsiveness to specific cleaning needs.
- Can you share an example of a time when you had to address a guest concern or request related to the cleanliness of public areas? How did you handle it?
- Look for candidates who have strong communication and customer service skills, especially in a guest-facing role.
- What steps do you take to collaborate with other hotel staff, such as housekeeping or maintenance, to ensure seamless operations and guest satisfaction?
- Evaluate the candidate’s ability to work as part of a team and communicate effectively with colleagues.
- How do you maintain a positive and welcoming atmosphere in public areas, and what strategies do you use to interact with guests in a courteous manner?
- Assess the candidate’s interpersonal skills and their commitment to creating a positive guest experience.
Salary Details For Public Area Position:
The salary for a Public Area Attendant can vary based on factors such as experience, location, and the size of the establishment. As of January 2024, the salary range for this position in the United States was approximately $20,000 to $30,000 per year. However, salary figures may have changed, so it’s recommended to consult recent industry salary surveys or HR professionals for the most up-to-date information in your specific region or industry. Keep in mind that salaries may also vary depending on the specific responsibilities and requirements of the position.