Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Housekeeping Secretary
The Housekeeping secretary provides complete secretarial support for the executive housekeeper and oversees the operation of the housekeeping office to ensure that all functions are carried out and completed according to the policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Additionally, They should be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all levels of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous, and service-oriented manner.
Housekeeping Secretary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Places and accepts telephone calls.
- Write or draft letters for the executive housekeeper.
- Deal with telephone and email inquiries, using an email system (e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.).
- Photocopy and print various documents, sometimes on behalf of other colleagues.
- Organise and store paperwork, documents, and computer-based information.
- Create and maintain filing and other office systems.
- Keep diaries and arrange appointments.
- Schedule and attend meetings, create agendas, and take minutes – shorthand may be required to do this.
- Book meeting rooms and conference rooms for both internal staff meetings and external meetings.
- Liaise with staff in other departments and with external contacts.
- Translates and types departmental manuals and other matters.
- Records departmental meeting minutes and daily briefing notes.
- Maintaining diaries and arranging appointments.
- Typing, preparing, and collating reports and filing reports.
- Organizing and servicing meetings (producing agendas and taking minutes)
- Managing housekeeping and laundry-related files and databases.
- Prioritizing workloads of the Executive housekeeper.
- Implementing new procedures and administrative systems.
- Distributes all incoming and outgoing correspondence, faxes, and memos. Also opens and keeps current employee files.
- Organizes and controls all office supplies, stationery, and work forms.
- Prepares month-end attendance report.
- Assumes other duties assigned by the Executive Housekeeper from time to time.
- Provide HK department orientation and walkaround for new housekeeping staff and trainees.
Position Title: Housekeeping Secretary
- Have a friendly, welcoming, and full-of-life attitude.
- Good typing skills and basic computer skills, smart, pleasant, good health, personality.
- Proficiency in computer programs like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and working experience in hotel software like Opera, Protel, Fidelio, etc. is an added advantage.
- High School or Diploma in Hotel Administration, Hotel Management, Secretarial Studies or equivalent.
- Two to three years experience as a secretary.
- Previous supervisory or Asst. Manager responsibility preferred.
Interview Questions For Housekeeping Secretary Position:
When interviewing candidates for a Housekeeping Secretary position, it’s important to assess their organizational skills, communication abilities, and familiarity with administrative tasks in a housekeeping or hospitality setting. Here are some interview questions and salary details:
- Can you discuss your previous experience in administrative or secretarial roles, particularly in the context of a housekeeping or hospitality setting?
- Look for candidates with relevant administrative experience, especially those who have worked in a housekeeping or hotel environment.
- How do you prioritize and manage various administrative tasks, such as scheduling, record-keeping, and communication, within a busy housekeeping department?
- Assess the candidate’s organizational and multitasking skills, as well as their ability to handle various responsibilities simultaneously.
- What software or tools are you proficient in for handling administrative tasks, such as scheduling software, document management systems, or communication tools?
- Evaluate the candidate’s technical skills and their familiarity with tools commonly used in administrative roles.
- How do you handle communication between the housekeeping department and other departments or external parties?
- Assess the candidate’s communication skills and their ability to facilitate effective communication within and outside the housekeeping department.
- Can you share an example of a challenging situation where your organizational skills and attention to detail were crucial in ensuring smooth housekeeping operations?
- Look for candidates who can provide concrete examples of how their skills have positively impacted housekeeping processes.
- What steps do you take to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information, such as employee records or guest requests?
- Assess the candidate’s understanding of the importance of confidentiality in handling housekeeping-related information.
- How do you adapt to changes in scheduling or unexpected events that may impact the housekeeping department’s administrative needs?
- Evaluate the candidate’s flexibility and adaptability in handling unexpected challenges.
Salary Details For Housekeeping Secretary position:
The salary for a Housekeeping Secretary can vary based on factors such as experience, location, and the size of the establishment. As of January 2022, the salary range for this position in the United States was approximately $35,000 to $50,000 per year. However, salary figures may have changed, so it’s recommended to consult recent industry salary surveys or HR professionals for the most up-to-date information in your specific region or industry. Keep in mind that salaries may also vary depending on the specific responsibilities and requirements of the position.