Job Description for Assistant Executive Housekeeper / AEHK
An assistant executive housekeeper is responsible for assisting the executive housekeeper in maintaining the cleanliness and overall appearance of a hotel or resort. This includes supervising and training housekeeping staff, managing schedules, and ensuring that all rooms and public areas are cleaned and maintained to a high standard.
In addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the housekeeping department, an assistant executive housekeeper is also responsible for conducting regular inspections to ensure that standards are being met. They must be able to identify areas that need attention and make recommendations for improvement.
An assistant executive housekeeper should have excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as a strong attention to detail. They must also be able to work well under pressure and be able to juggle multiple tasks at once.
Overall, an assistant executive housekeeper plays a crucial role in ensuring that guests have a clean and comfortable stay at a hotel or resort. They are an integral part of the hospitality industry and contribute to the overall success of the business.
The Assistant Executive Housekeeper supervises and coordinates the activities of room attendants, house attendants, public area cleaners, and floor supervisors. He / She assists in the managing and directing of the day–to–day operations of all Housekeeping and laundry functions.
Participates in and enforces quality assurance for the Housekeeping Department and department cost control measures.
Responsibility & Authority:
- Should have an eye for detail and the ability to effectively deal with guests, other departments, and housekeeping staff.
- Obtain a list of vacant rooms to be cleaned immediately & list of prospective checkouts or discharges to prepare work assignments.
- Experience with turn-down service, special needs of VIP Guests, foreign dignitaries, etc. is helpful.
- Assigns team members their duties, and inspects work for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Prepares and distributes the Room assignment sheet and floor keys to room boys.
- Maintain clear and efficient communication and coordination with the Front Office and other departments of the hotel.
- Schedules the cleaning of the room carpets, upholstery, and draperies as needed, along with deep cleaning projects and window cleaning as necessary.
- Schedules cleaning for lobby areas, public restrooms, telephone areas, hallways, entrances, and elevators.
- Schedules periodic major cleaning projects including carpet shampooing, cleaning of walls and baseboards, and cleaning of windows, elevator doors, and tracks.
- Schedules cleaning of all meeting rooms after a completed function.
- Schedules deep cleaning of all meeting rooms periodically including carpet shampooing, cleaning of walls and baseboards, cleaning of windows, etc.
- Inventories cleaning supplies & linen stock to ensure adequate supplies.
- Investigate concerns regarding housekeeping service and equipment, and take corrective action.
- Provides support to the Executive Housekeeper in all areas of a Housekeeping operation, such as staff training, coaching, and counseling, and also enforces the hotel’s standard operating procedures.
- Ensure all meeting room functions are properly set up according to the requests indicated on the meeting room/event function sheets.
- Ensures guest rooms are properly secured and that proper key control procedures are utilized by the housekeeping staff.
- Advises manager, desk clerk, & admitting personnel of rooms ready for occupancy.
- Rewards employees who use their empowerment to meet or exceed guest expectations.
- Print all housekeeping-related reports and traces from PMS.
- Assists in controlling expenses by the housekeeping department.
- Confirm all housekeeping staff members have arrived or find substitutes for absent employees.
- Maintain high quality of housekeeping standards in 1) the guest rooms 2) linens and uniforms 3) lost and found procedures 4) laundry and 5) public area.
- Review outside laundry facility servicing to ensure quality, undamaged linens, and consistent delivery, keeping in mind the budgetary guidelines.
- Coordinate with vendors eg: Pest control, Laundry services, and other outsourcing services.
- Attend to any guest complaints and take service recovery measures if required.
- Review the housekeeping points on the guest feedback forms, take action on guest complaints, and also share guest compliments with staff members.
- Prepare annual housekeeping budget.
- Submit requests for repair and periodic maintenance of cleaning equipment.
- Prepares store requisition, purchases other supplies and equipment, also monitors par stock on all housekeeping guest supplies and linens.
Other Routine Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the front office and send room discrepancy lists.
- Select, staff, recruit, hire, and train qualified housekeeping candidates.
- Attends training seminars to perfect housekeeping techniques and procedures, and enhance supervisory skills.
- Records data concerning work assignments, personnel actions, and time cards, and prepares periodic reports. May prepare reports concerning room occupancy, payroll expenses, and department expenses.
- Attends periodic staff meetings with other department heads to discuss company policies and patrons’ complaints, and to make recommendations to improve service and ensure more efficient operation.
- Orient and familiarize new personnel with hotel facilities and operating hours.
- Control all expenditures relating to Housekeeping, including labor, guest room supplies, and all cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Oversee any guest communications from housekeeping.
Education: Hotel management diploma or equivalent. Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc. Write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Speak with correct English and a well-modulated voice.
Minimum 2 years of housekeeping experience in a supervisory capacity, 2 years line-level experience in all aspects of the Housekeeping department.
JOB TITLE: Assistant Executive Housekeeper
REPORTS: Executive Housekeeper / Resident Manager
Interview Questions For an Assistant Executive Housekeeper Position:
When interviewing candidates for an Assistant Executive Housekeeper position, it’s crucial to assess their leadership skills, experience in housekeeping operations, and ability to manage and motivate a team. Here are some interview questions and salary details:
- Can you discuss your previous experience in a leadership role within housekeeping operations, and how it has prepared you for the responsibilities of an Assistant Executive Housekeeper?
- Look for candidates with relevant leadership experience and a clear understanding of housekeeping functions.
- How do you prioritize and delegate tasks among housekeeping staff to ensure efficient and high-quality service?
- Assess the candidate’s organizational and delegation skills, as well as their ability to manage a team effectively.
- What measures do you take to ensure that cleanliness and hygiene standards are consistently met in guest rooms and public areas?
- Evaluate the candidate’s commitment to maintaining high standards and their attention to detail in housekeeping operations.
- Can you share examples of how you’ve handled and resolved issues within the housekeeping team or addressed guest concerns related to cleanliness?
- Look for candidates who can demonstrate problem-solving skills and a proactive approach to guest satisfaction.
- How do you contribute to the training and development of housekeeping staff to ensure they meet the service standards of the establishment?
- Assess the candidate’s approach to staff training and their commitment to continuous improvement.
- What strategies do you use to coordinate with other hotel departments to ensure seamless operations and guest satisfaction?
- Evaluate the candidate’s ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with various departments.
- How do you stay informed about industry trends and best practices in housekeeping to continually enhance the quality of service provided by your team?
- Assess the candidate’s commitment to staying updated on industry developments and incorporating best practices.
Salary Details For an Assistant Executive Housekeeper Position:
The salary for an Assistant Executive Housekeeper can vary based on factors such as experience, location, and the size or reputation of the establishment. As of January 2023, the salary range for this position in the United States was approximately $40,000 to $60,000 per year. However, salary figures may have changed, so it’s recommended to consult recent industry salary surveys or HR professionals for the most up-to-date information in your specific region or industry. Keep in mind that salaries may also vary depending on the specific responsibilities and requirements of the position.