Job Description for Cloakroom Attendant
As a cloakroom attendant, your main responsibility is to provide excellent customer service to guests by making them feel welcome and comfortable. You will be responsible for checking guests’ coats, bags, and other personal belongings and storing them in a secure and organized manner.
In addition to keeping the cloakroom tidy and well-organized, you may also be responsible for assisting guests with finding their belongings when they are ready to leave. You will need to have a friendly and approachable demeanor, as you will be interacting with guests throughout their visit.
Other duties may include handling cash transactions and maintaining accurate records of items checked in and out of the cloakroom. You may also be responsible for coordinating with other staff members to ensure that all guest needs are being met and that any issues are being addressed promptly.
Overall, being a cloakroom attendant requires a combination of excellent customer service skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment. If you enjoy working with people and are looking for a challenging and rewarding role in the hospitality industry, this may be the perfect job for you.
As a Cloakroom Attendant, you would be responsible for checking, cleaning, and restocking all public area restrooms, lobby areas, restaurants, fitness room, and spa. Assist the housekeeping department in driving immaculate cleaning standards, guest service, and interdepartmental staff relations at all times.
Additionally able to answer general customer inquiries about the hotel’s facilities, services, timings of different F&B outlets, SPA, and other general policies and procedures of the facilities.
Cloakroom Attendant Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the cleanliness of the cloakroom/washroom and lobby areas.
- Welcome all guests and receive coats, bags, and other personal belongings from them and keep them in the designated area.
- Ensuring that you are always polite and helpful towards guests and colleagues.
- Maintain and clean all public area washrooms in the hotel.
- Each washroom is to be checked on a regular interval as per the standards set by the Executive housekeeper.
- Clean all glass doors and mirrors in public areas.
- Make regular rounds during the shift to keep the front of the hotel free from the trash.
- Make regular rounds to empty ashtrays and urns from the lobby and bar areas.
- Make regular rounds to restock hand tissues, toilet rolls, hand wash liquids, sanitizers, and shoe polishes.
- Make sure all toilet bowls and urinals are clean and tidy at all times.
- Polishes and cleans all furniture and fixtures in the lobby, washrooms, and other public areas.
- Responsible for vacuuming, mopping, and polishing all guest elevators.
- Responsible for sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, waxing, and polishing cloakrooms, lobbies, restaurants, and other public areas.
- Responsible for cleaning and maintaining cloakrooms/washrooms of restaurants, banquet halls, SPA, and other public area, etc.
- Responsible for upkeeping and maintaining all cleaning equipment eg: Vacuum cleaner, Scrubbing machine, carpet shampoo machine, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining a schedule for cleaning each area.
- Responsible for deep cleaning or spring cleaning of the designated area as per the schedule.
- Able to use polishing and scrubbing machine and also have a good knowledge of chemicals and polishes.
- In a large hotel tag all guest items and give a counter receipt or ticket.
- Give the guests a ticket that corresponds to the number of their belongings.
- Store coats, bags, and other personal belongings according to the ticket number and keep them safe.
- Take care of customer’s belongings efficiently always.
- Return guest items and personal belongings to the guests.
- Always keep the cloakroom/washroom areas clean and tidy.
- Report any lost items, suspicious persons, or items to the housekeeping desk and refer guest problems or complaints to supervisors immediately.
- Report and document safety hazards, potentially hazardous conditions, and unsafe practices and procedures.
- Any other task as and when assigned by the supervisors or managers.
Position Title: Cloakroom Attendant / Cloakroom Assistant
Reports To: Public Area Superior / Control Desk Supervisor
- Is proficient in the safe handling of all relevant equipment and machinery.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Good understanding of using different cleaning machines and chemicals.
- Physical mobility and stamina are required.
- Ability to work independently.
High school or Intermediate or Equivalent.
1 to 2 years of experience in a similar role preferably in hotels or large offices.
When interviewing candidates for a Cloakroom Attendant position, it’s important to focus on their customer service skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage a coat check efficiently. Here are some interview questions along with salary details:
- Can you describe any previous experience you have as a Cloakroom Attendant or in a similar customer service role?
- Look for candidates with relevant experience in roles that involve customer interaction and service delivery.
- How do you handle a high volume of guests during peak hours in a cloakroom setting?
- Assess the candidate’s ability to manage and organize a busy cloakroom efficiently.
- How do you ensure the security and proper handling of guests’ belongings in the cloakroom?
- Evaluate the candidate’s attention to detail and commitment to ensuring the safety and security of guests’ items.
- Can you share an example of a time when you had to address a customer concern or complaint in a professional manner?
- Look for candidates who have strong customer service and problem-solving skills, especially in handling delicate situations.
- How do you manage lost or unclaimed items in the cloakroom?
- Assess the candidate’s process for handling lost items and their ability to adhere to established policies.
- What steps do you take to maintain the cleanliness and organization of the cloakroom area?
- Evaluate the candidate’s commitment to providing a clean and welcoming environment for guests.
- How do you handle situations where guests request quick access to their items during busy periods?
- Assess the candidate’s ability to prioritize and manage guest requests efficiently.
Salary Details: As of January 2022, the salary range for a Cloakroom Attendant in the United States was typically around $20,000 to $30,000 per year. However, these figures can vary based on factors such as location, the type of establishment, and the level of experience of the candidate. It's advisable to consult recent industry salary surveys or HR professionals for the most up-to-date salary information in your specific region or industry.