Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Florist
The role of a hotel florist is to design and arrange floral arrangements throughout the hotel. These arrangements can include lobby displays, guest room bouquets, and table centerpieces for the hotel’s restaurants and events.
The hotel florist must have a strong creative eye and a deep understanding of different types of flowers and plants. They must be able to work with the hotel’s existing décor and color schemes to create arrangements that complement the atmosphere.
In addition to floral design, the hotel florist must also be responsible for maintaining the freshness and quality of the flowers. This includes regularly watering and pruning the arrangements and replacing any wilted or damaged flowers.
The hotel florist must also have excellent time management skills, as they will often be working on multiple projects at once. They must be able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines, while still maintaining the highest level of quality in their work.
Overall, the hotel florist plays an important role in enhancing the guest experience and creating a welcoming and beautiful atmosphere throughout the hotel.
As a Florist / Floral Designer, the primary responsibility is to create innovative floral décor and lead floral installation for the hotel lobby, Guest Rooms, Restaurants, Spa, and other public areas. Have good coordination with the housekeeping and as well as other departments like Front Office, and F&B Service to cater to their floral requirements.
Also knowledge about a wide range of floral designs, flowers, and foliage along with their seasonal availability and how long they will stay fresh. All designs and duties are to be performed by the housekeeping department’s standard operating policies and procedures.
Florist Duties and Responsibilities:
- Able to create visually appealing flower arrangements for hotel daily requirements.
- Able to provide specialized design and floral expertise to plan, design and create floral arrangements for all events in the hotel eg: weddings, engagements, product launches, etc.
- Able to prepare bouquets for guests, lobby centerpieces, and other flower arrangements as per request or memo from both housekeeping and other departments.
- Assist with loading or unloading of flowers and props from vehicles as and when required.
- Ensure that all designs meet hotel standards and meet or exceed guest’s expectations.
- Ensure that all floral arrangements are within the allocated budget and deadlines are met for both hotel requirements and guest orders.
- Ensure proper communication of project status, timelines, and delivery information to guests, bookers, organizers, and other departments.
- All floral orders are updated on the register or sheets and appropriate signs off to be taken from guests or other departments.
- Billing/voucher to be done for all guest orders, events and charges to be posted to the appropriate guest or banquet folio.
- Responsible for preparing floral containers, required props, floral foams, and floral carts for storage, refrigeration, and delivery.
- Responsible for creating new floral recipes or floral designs.
- Responsible for ordering flowers, and floral products and monitoring their arrivals with the vendors.
- Responsible for coordination with flower and floral products vendors.
- Responsible for monitoring par stocks and making required requisitions.
- Responsible for Sorting, organizing, cleaning, and restocking all supplies.
- Responsible to water and maintain all in-house plants and floral decorations.
- Ensure good relations with internal departments, clients, and vendors to resolve issues.
- Monitor all flower vase inventory and count for breakage or loss
- Expedite reorder and new inventory for a flower vase, and floral foams as and when needed.
- Maintain photos of a variety of floral arrangements done as a sample or catalog for the guests.
- Assign projects and lead crews in floral production on-site, maximizing employee talents and available resources.
- Stay up-to-date and current in design trends, floral techniques, props, and other products.
- Any other duties and tasks in the area assigned by the manager or supervisor.
Position Title: Florist / Floral Designer / Horticulturist
Reports To: Executive Housekeeper / Asst Executive Housekeeper
- Advanced knowledge of fresh floral products and design techniques.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Flexibility, punctuality, teamwork, and Cleanliness.
- Ready to work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays.
High school diploma or 2-year degree in Floral Design or related field. Basic computer knowledge.
At least 2 to 4 years of floral design experience preferably in the hospitality industry.
When interviewing candidates for a Florist position, it’s essential to assess their creativity, floral design skills, knowledge of flowers and plants, and customer service abilities. Here are some interview questions and salary details for a Florist:
Interview Questions for Florist Position:
- Can you discuss your background and experience in floral design?
- Look for candidates who have formal training or significant experience in creating floral arrangements.
- What inspired you to become a florist, and what do you enjoy most about working with flowers?
- Assess the candidate’s passion for the profession and their genuine interest in floral design.
- How do you stay updated on current floral design trends and new varieties of flowers and plants?
- Look for candidates who are committed to continuous learning and staying informed about industry trends.
- Can you share examples of some of your favorite or most challenging floral design projects?
- Assess the candidate’s portfolio and their ability to handle diverse and challenging projects.
- How do you approach collaborating with clients to understand their preferences and create personalized floral arrangements?
- Evaluate the candidate’s customer service skills and their ability to translate clients’ preferences into beautiful designs.
- How do you handle unexpected challenges, such as limited availability of specific flowers or last-minute changes to orders?
- Assess the candidate’s problem-solving skills and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- What techniques do you use to ensure the freshness and longevity of floral arrangements?
- Evaluate the candidate’s knowledge of proper care and handling of flowers to maintain the quality of their creations.
Salary Details: The salary for a Florist can vary based on factors such as experience, location, and the type of floral business. As of January 2022, the average annual salary for a Florist in the United States ranged from $25,000 to $45,000. However, it’s important to note that salary figures can change over time and may vary regionally. For the most up-to-date salary information, consider consulting industry reports, salary surveys, or local job market data. Additionally, the salary may be influenced by whether the florist is employed by a flower shop, works independently, or owns their own floral business.