Menu Engineering & Cost Control in Banquets
Menu Engineering & Cost Control:
- All menu items have been cost-valued and the price level has been established according to the objectives set by the Management Team.
- Therefore, it is very important to respect the different recipes and instructions given by the executive Chef or his Assistant.
- All set menus have been elaborated by the Executive Chef. They have been carefully selected and are a balance between the different ingredients, ways of preparing, and presentations.
- If requested, the guest can change some of the menu items. In this case, the hotel computer/data processing system allows the Catering Sales Manager to change a dish with another one while checking the price level.
- However, one shall be careful to ensure the amended menu is still balanced: therefore, it is recommended to consult the Executive Chef or one of her/his assistants if an alternative suggestion is made by the guest.
- The Cost Control Department will verify and register the use of all food & beverage ingredients in the different kitchens and outlets.
- The cost control report will issue a monthly report informing the Management Team of any discrepancies within the operational results.
- The size of a recipe must be adapted to the number of people and the selected menu choice.
- It is preferable to replenish the buffet more frequently to avoid the unnecessary waste of food.
- The food items on the buffet must be replenished whenever necessary. The kitchen staff will stand by to do so.
- After the function is over, all food left on the buffet must be returned to the kitchen.
Training Summary Questions For Banquet Menu Engineering:
Q1. Why does menu design play a crucial part in Banquet operations?
Q2. Who should be involved in designing a banquet menu?
Q3. What process should be followed if the guest requests small changes to the defined banquet menu?
Q4. Which department is responsible for monitoring and reporting operational discrepancies?
Q5. What are the tips for effective buffet control?
SOP Number: Food and Beverage Service SOP - 26 Department: Food and Beverage Service – Banquet Date Issued: DATE THE DOCUMENT WAS CREATED Time to Train: 60 Min