Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary For Banquet Coordinator in Hotels
As a Banquet Sales Coordinator or Catering Coordinator, your primary responsibility is to plan and execute events such as weddings, corporate meetings, and other special occasions. You will work closely with clients to understand their needs and preferences and ensure their events are executed flawlessly.
In this role, you will be responsible for negotiating contracts, coordinating with vendors, managing budgets, and ensuring that all details of the event are executed according to the client’s expectations. You will also be responsible for managing the event staff, ensuring that they are properly trained and equipped to provide exceptional service to clients and guests.
To be successful in this role, you should have excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to multitask. You should also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as you will be working closely with clients, vendors, and staff.
If you are passionate about event planning and enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, then a career as a Banquet Sales Coordinator or Catering Coordinator may be the perfect fit for you. With the right skills and experience, you can help create memorable events that will be cherished for years to come.
Responsible for meetings, making introductions, and ensuring that all arrangements and requirements are gathered with the function host before the function. Read and analyze the Banquet Event Order (BEO) / Banquet Function Plan (FP) to gather guests’ requirements, determine the proper setup, buffet, audiovisuals, and timeline, and also give attention to any special guest needs.
Duties and Responsibilities of Banquet Coordinator:
1. Establish and improve the reputation of the hotel by offering a very personalized style of service as per the hotel’s standard operating procedures.
2. Timely attend all telephone calls using clear and professional language, and answer telephones using appropriate telephone etiquette.
3. Answer the phone, direct to the appropriate person, and/or take messages.
4. Assist with typing of the Banquet and Sales correspondence, i.e. answering mail, confirming banquet arrangements, menus, BEO, FP, memos, etc.
5. Promptly respond to all inquiries.
6. Compose, publish, and distribute the Banquet event order (BEO) / Banquet Function Plan (FP) to all department heads and personnel who are involved in servicing banquet functions.
7. Work with management and other heads of departments at all times and assist in carrying out special requirements and duties necessary to add to the guest’s general comfort and well-being.
8. Distribute promptly to all departments about notice of any change in the Banquet event order (BEO) / Banquet Function Plan (FP).
9. Prepare signage and menu items for all banquet event functions.
10. Study requirements of all booked banquets and functions to familiarize and ascertain the possibility of selling additional facilities, to produce extra revenue.
11. Sending Banquet event proposals to the guests and being in timely contact with them.
12. Call customers to remind them before for cut-off dates.
13. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others, and support the team to reach common goals.
14. Ensure prompt responses to all inquiries through telephone, fax, and emails.
15. Ensure that all the administrative documents are prepared for the hotel sales team.
16. Act as a liaison between all related hotel departments and the host of the function.
17. Ensure orders and requisitions for the Catering and Banquet departments are completed.
18. Responsible for attending periodic sales meetings and circulating minutes of the meetings and regular follow-ups.
19. Respond and act upon any special requirement which function host has requested.
20. Maintaining the entire sales correspondence database.
21. Maintain departmental reports and procedures.
22. Maintain all client information and folders.
23. Coordinate with Banquet operations on a timely basis to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
24. Updating DSR (Daily Sales Report) and revenue projection daily.
25. Update the Catering and Banquets calendar on the Sales and Catering software.
26. Perform all duties as deemed necessary for the success of the department.
POSITION TITLE: Banquet Sales Coordinator / Catering Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales / F&B Manager / Banquet Manager / Director of Catering & Banquets
A courteous, polite, and well-spoken hotelier who is highly efficient has excellent organizational skills, and possesses good team spirit. Should have a passion for providing the highest standards of service to the guests. Helpful and approachable to the guests and can promote hotel catering and events facilities and maximize sales opportunities at all times.
Bachelor of Hotel Management or Degree in Hospitality/Tourism/Hotel Management, Marketing or equivalent. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications. Experience in Property Management Software, Delphi Sales and Catering, and Opera Sales and Catering is an added advantage.
Minimum 1 to 2 years of work experience as a Sales Coordinator or Banquet Coordinator at a major hotel is required. Possess excellent customer care and interpersonal skills. Excellent communication skills are necessary.
Interview Questions for a Banquet Sales Coordinator or Catering Coordinator:
When conducting an interview for a Banquet Sales Coordinator or Catering Coordinator position, it’s important to assess candidates for their sales and organizational skills, customer service abilities, and experience in event planning. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
Sales and Customer Service Skills:
- Can you describe your experience in sales and how it relates to the hospitality industry, specifically in banquets or catering?
- Look for candidates with a background in sales and an understanding of the hospitality context.
- How do you approach the sales process for banquets or catering services?
- Assess their sales strategies and ability to attract and retain clients.
- Can you provide an example of a successful sales pitch or negotiation that resulted in a booking for a banquet or catering event?
- Evaluate their communication and persuasion skills.
Event Planning and Coordination:
- Describe your experience in coordinating banquets or catering events, including planning, logistics, and execution.
- Look for candidates with strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- How do you handle changes or unexpected challenges during the planning and execution of an event?
- Assess their problem-solving and adaptability skills.
- What steps do you take to ensure that client expectations are met or exceeded during events?
- Evaluate their commitment to delivering a high-quality experience.
Client Interaction and Relationship Building:
- How do you build and maintain relationships with clients, and how do you ensure client satisfaction throughout the event planning process?
- Assess their interpersonal skills and customer relationship management.
- Can you share an example of a time when you had to address a client concern or complaint, and how you resolved it?
- Evaluate their customer service and conflict resolution abilities.
Salary Information for Banquet Sales Coordinator or Catering Coordinator:
The salary for Banquet Sales Coordinators or Catering Coordinators can vary based on factors such as location, type of venue, and level of experience. As of January 2024, the average annual salary for Banquet Sales Coordinators in the United States ranged from $40,000 to $60,000.
However, salaries can vary, and it’s advisable to check the latest salary data from reliable sources for the most current information. Keep in mind that specific industries or regions may have different salary ranges, so research is based on the relevant context.