Job Description for Shift Engineer in Hotels
Position Title: Shift Engineer / Shift Technician
Reports To: Chief Engineer / Asst. Manager Engineering
As a Shift Engineer or Shift Technician, he/she is responsible to support the whole engineering team and to ensure that the engineering and maintenance operations within the hotel, including general property maintenance, are working properly and up to the hotels operating standards.
You are also responsible to keep all equipment in good repair providing day-to-day maintenance support to the hotel. Additionally, work towards and support the improvement of engineering service to guests, other departments and colleagues.
Shift Engineer Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Complete maintenance work orders from all departments on a timely basis by following hotels standard operating procedures.
2) Perform day-to-day routine and preventative maintenance within the hotel rooms and public areas.
3) Respond promptly and efficiently to any maintenance calls that arise either by the guest or other departments.
4) Respond courteously to guest requests promptly and resolve matters to the guest’s satisfaction.
5) Able to prioritise the maintenance issues e.g.: to attend the breakdown of plant and machinery on priority.
6) Perform maintenance activities in the guest rooms and public areas including electrical equipment, plumbing and Air conditioning
8) Test, troubleshoot and perform basic repair on all types of equipment.
9) To monitor fire Alarm / Life Safety System systems as necessary, to be fully informed of the system operation and to handle emergencies involving the systems.
10) Understand and operate electrical, plumbing, refrigeration, and water systems.
11) Communicate with different departments and to provide them with information and assistance.
13) Able to use your wits and technical abilities to solve problems and make repairs effectively and efficiently.
14) Able to maintain a daily logbook of work done during the shift.
15) Able to delegate duties to the Engineering supervisors, Ken fix-it and other technicians.
17) Able to complete the daily checklist before handing over the shift.
18) Able to look after the smooth functioning of all machinery and equipment.
19) Able give proper handover to the next shift and also take regular briefing of the shift staff.
21) Execute the preventative maintenance schedule and ensure all equipment and designated areas are maintained to the required standard.
22) Inform Asst. Manager Engineer of recurring complaints so that general shift staff can rectify the problems on the permanent basis.
23) Responsible to take decisions when the engineering chief and Assistant manager are not available.
24) Maintain all tools, equipment, and working areas in good condition.
25) Maintain the engineering working area and control desk in a good condition always.
26) Maintain maintenance inventory and requisition parts and supplies as needed.
27) Train and instruct other members of the staff through sharing of knowledge and skills.
28) Attend all firefighting classes and to obtain a thorough knowledge of firefighting appliances.
29) Perform any other job assigned by the management as and when required.
A passion for delivering great customer service.
Excellent guest relations and communication skills required.
Ability to read and understand test equipment, measuring devices, and safety manuals.
Ability to work without close supervision and within established time frames.
Demonstrable electrical experience and current working knowledge of general maintenance and engineering work
Experience in general trades such as light plumbing, minor electrical, painting & drywall, general repairs required.
A high school diploma with technical or vocational schooling. Basic computer skills and MS product suites, previous experience in working with maintenance software, PMS - Property management systems etc. added advantage.