Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Ken Fix It
As a Ken Fix It, your main responsibility is to ensure that all maintenance and repair tasks within the premises are carried out efficiently and effectively. Your role involves diagnosing and repairing electrical, plumbing, and mechanical faults, as well as performing routine maintenance tasks such as painting, cleaning, and landscaping.
You will also be responsible for ensuring that all necessary equipment and tools are available and that they are properly maintained and stored. You will need to work closely with other members of staff to ensure that all work is carried out in a timely and professional manner.
As a Ken Fix It, you should have excellent problem-solving skills and be able to work well under pressure. You should also have good communication skills and be able to liaise with staff and customers in a professional and courteous manner.
Also, They should be a passionate and dynamic maintenance professional who can deliver extraordinary levels of customer service and also provide solutions to the guests. Additionally responsible for maintenance/technical attention by the Ken-Fixit policies and procedures to guest rooms and public areas.
Ken Fix It Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist with hotel maintenance work as directed.
- To maintain the equipment and tools in good order and to maintain all stores organized.
- To show an interest in learning all available new technology and the latest products.
- To share in the implementation of the training programs that will result in better productivity and a better work environment.
- To attend the conducted technical training, and to assure the correct implementation.
- Responsible for working with stipulated quotas, for ensuring those areas are left in a safe condition.
- Responsible for the proper use and security of Ken-Fixit equipment and trolley.
- Responsible for engineering-related guest room requests and response promptly.
- Responsible for repairing or replacing all types of tiles, floors, and walls as and when required.
- Responsible to repair and fix damaged shelving and furniture when necessary.
- Responsible to repair and replace broken windows, doors, and locks.
- Report any serious maintenance problems, unusual findings, or safety hazards immediately to the manager/supervisor
- Carry out general repairs to brick or block walls.
- Carry out plaster repair works to walls.
- Carry out general painting works as required.
- Carry out general plumbing, repairs silicon sealant replacement, etc.
- Initiates orders for supplies for the trolley and maintains records of work completed.
- Ensure that all Work Order, PPM, and general Maintenance works are executed, as directed by the immediate supervisor.
- Ensure the engineering area is safe, kept clean, and in an orderly manner. Keep close coordination with other engineering staff for smooth operation.
- Follow guest room preventive maintenance checklist to individually complete rooms’ preventative maintenance process for guest rooms efficiently and effectively.
- Accident is the term used to describe employee injuries. prevention and safety to be aware of all existing departmental job safety analyses and to strive to work in an accident-free manner and to create a safe working environment for himself and others.
- Ability to find faults and rectify systems as and when required.
- Any other duties and tasks as and when assigned by the superior or the hotel management.
- Must be able to work as a team.
- Able to find the root cause of the issues and pay attention to details.
- Self-motivated with a hands-on and flexible approach.
- Able to adapt to unpredictable events.
- Must be proactive and reliable.
- Able to thrive working in a busy environment and stay calm under pressure.
Diploma or certified training in general maintenance works. Basic computer skills and familiarity with Hotel Facility Management systems, inventory systems, etc.
Minimum 1-year experience in a similar position in a 5-star or full-service hotel and previous experiences within the plumbing, carpentry, painting, or electrical field.
Interview Questions for a Ken Fix It (Handyman/Maintenance) Position:
- Can you provide an overview of your experience as a handyman or in maintenance roles, and highlight the types of repairs or tasks you have expertise in?
- This question assesses the candidate’s relevant experience and specific skills in maintenance work.
- How do you prioritize and manage multiple maintenance tasks or repair requests, especially in a dynamic environment with changing priorities?
- Evaluates the candidate’s organizational and multitasking skills.
- Can you share an example of a challenging repair or maintenance project you successfully completed, including the specific tasks involved and the outcome?
- This behavioral question assesses the candidate’s problem-solving skills and practical experience.
- What types of tools and equipment are you proficient in using, and how do you ensure their proper maintenance and safety?
- Assesses the candidate’s technical skills and commitment to equipment maintenance.
- How do you handle emergency repairs or situations that require immediate attention, and what steps do you take to address urgent maintenance issues promptly?
- This question evaluates the candidate’s ability to respond to time-sensitive situations.
- Have you worked in environments where you needed to coordinate with other maintenance staff, contractors, or external service providers? How do you ensure effective collaboration in such situations?
- Assesses the candidate’s teamwork and communication skills.
- What safety protocols do you follow in your maintenance work, and how do you promote a safe working environment for yourself and others?
- Assesses the candidate’s commitment to safety practices.
- How do you stay informed about advancements in maintenance techniques, tools, and industry best practices, and how do you incorporate this knowledge into your work?
- Assesses the candidate’s commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
Salary Considerations for Handyman/Maintenance Position:
The salary for a handyman or maintenance position can vary based on factors such as location, industry, and the candidate’s level of experience. As of January 2024, the average annual salary for a handyman in the United States ranged from $30,000 to $50,000.
It’s important to note that salary ranges can change, and local market conditions may influence compensation. Researching current salary trends using industry reports, salary surveys, and job boards specific to your region and the maintenance sector can provide more accurate and up-to-date information. Additionally, consulting with local HR professionals or recruitment agencies can offer insights into the current compensation landscape for maintenance positions.
As Ken Fix It you are responsible for the general maintenance work on a day-to-day basis and to perform the Ken Fix It maintenance task to the allotted room and public areas. Overall, this is a challenging and rewarding role that requires a high level of skill and dedication. If you are a proactive and skilled individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, then this may be the ideal role for you.