Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary For Hotel Groundskeeper
As a hotel groundskeeper, your job will be to maintain the exterior of the hotel and the surrounding property. You will be responsible for ensuring that the hotel grounds are clean, well-maintained, and visually appealing for guests.
Your duties will include mowing and watering the lawn, trimming hedges and trees, planting and maintaining flowers and shrubs, and ensuring that walkways and parking areas are free of debris. You will also be responsible for removing snow and ice from walkways and parking areas during the winter months.
In addition to maintaining the exterior of the hotel, you will also be responsible for maintaining any outdoor equipment and ensuring that it is in good working order. You may also be responsible for assisting with tasks inside the hotel, such as setting up for events or cleaning up after guests.
To be successful in this role, you should have experience in landscaping and groundskeeping, as well as knowledge of tools and equipment used in the field. You should also be physically fit, able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, and have a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
If you enjoy working outdoors and have a passion for maintaining beautiful landscapes, then a job as a hotel groundskeeper may be a great fit for you.
The Hotel Groundskeeper is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the hotel grounds. This includes ensuring that the grounds are clean, well-kept, and presentable at all times.
The Groundskeeper may also be responsible for setting up and breaking down event spaces, as well as conducting light landscaping tasks such as trimming hedges and watering plants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES GROUNDSKEEPER:
- Maintain the cleanliness and presentation of the hotel grounds at all times
- Mow the lawn, trim the hedges, reseed the lawn, rake the leaves and moss, and fertilize the turf.
- Set up and break down event spaces as needed
- Conduct light landscaping tasks such as trimming hedges and watering plants
- Fertilize and Patch the Lawn as needed.
- Scrub every inch of all walkways to maximize safety and remove many books, debris, and cobwebs.
- Responsible for ensuring and guaranteeing the working and upkeep of tools and machines used in the maintenance process.
- Inspect buildings that need repair. (Include the parking lot, basement, lighting, etc.)
- Plant grass, ground covers, and plants.
- Assist other members of the team and other departments to provide the greatest productivity for the department and hotel.
- Cleans all trash and cigarette butts from the grounds.
- Respond to guest requests from the guests, answer their questions, and address any issues or complaints that they may have had, all politely and courteously to satisfy the guests’ needs and preferences.
- Attempt to complete other tasks as assigned, requested, or deemed necessary by management.
JOB TITLE: HOTEL GROUNDSKEEPER
REPORTS TO: Housekeeper / Engineering Supervisor
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS:
- Possess the necessary physical abilities to use ladders, crouch, and climb to perform manual labor and carry out repairs.
- being able to lift 85 pounds
- Ability to operate basic landscaping equipment
- Knowledge of horticultural principles and best practices
Experience as a groundskeeper or similar role is a plus.
Interview Questions For Groundskeeper Position:
When interviewing candidates for a Hotel Groundskeeper position, it’s important to assess their experience in landscaping and grounds maintenance, attention to detail, knowledge of horticulture, and their ability to contribute to the overall aesthetic appeal of the hotel. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
- Can you describe your previous experience as a groundskeeper or in a similar role involving landscaping and maintenance?
- This question allows the candidate to provide an overview of their relevant experience.
- What types of landscaping tools and equipment are you familiar with, and how do you ensure their proper use and maintenance?
- Assess the candidate’s technical skills and their familiarity with tools commonly used in groundskeeping.
- How do you approach the planning and execution of landscaping projects to enhance the aesthetic appeal of hotel grounds?
- Evaluate the candidate’s ability to contribute creatively to landscaping projects.
- What strategies do you use to maintain the health and appearance of plants, flowers, and trees on the hotel property?
- Assess the candidate’s knowledge of horticulture and their ability to care for various types of vegetation.
- How do you handle the use of fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals in a way that ensures the safety of guests, staff, and the environment?
- This question assesses the candidate’s understanding of safety protocols and environmental considerations.
- Can you share an example of a time when you successfully resolved a landscaping or groundskeeping challenge at a previous job?
- This behavioral question allows the candidate to demonstrate problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- How do you prioritize and manage your workload, especially during peak seasons when there may be increased demands for grounds maintenance?
- Evaluate the candidate’s organizational and time management skills.
- What steps do you take to ensure the cleanliness and orderliness of outdoor spaces, including walkways, patios, and recreational areas?
- Assess the candidate’s attention to detail in maintaining a well-kept appearance for outdoor spaces.
- How do you coordinate with other departments, such as maintenance or events, to ensure that groundskeeping activities align with overall hotel operations?
- Evaluate the candidate’s ability to collaborate and communicate effectively within a hotel setting.
- What do you believe are the most important qualities for a Hotel Groundskeeper to possess?
- This question allows the candidate to express their understanding of the role and the qualities they think are essential for success in the position.
Salary for a Hotel Groundskeeper Position:
The salary for a Hotel Groundskeeper can vary based on factors such as the location, the size of the hotel, and the candidate’s experience. As of January 2024, the average hourly wage for a Groundskeeper in the United States ranged from $12 to $20 per hour.
Salary figures can change over time, and it’s essential to refer to the latest industry reports, salary surveys, and local job market data for the most up-to-date information on salaries for Hotel Groundskeepers.