Lost Bills by F&B Staff and Lost Guest Checks
Standard Procedure for Lost Checks / Lost POS Bills:
Lost bills by F&B staff
- All checks that are not settled and cannot be found at the end of the shift are considered lost checks.
- Any staff member who fails to turn in checks at closing time will be held responsible for them.
- If any staff member loses checks regularly, she/he will be subject to disciplinary action.
- For each lost check, the Outlet Manager has to be called and a report has to be issued.
- The bill shall be closed in the POS terminal as per instructions from the IT administration department.
- The Restaurant Manager should do a daily audit for lost or misplaced checks or bills.
Lost customer checks
- If a customer has left the outlet before settling her/his bill, this is to be considered as a lost check.
- The Outlet Manager must be called and shall inform the Security Team.
- A report must be completed for each case by the Security Department with a copy to the F&B Director and Finance Manager.
- It will be the responsibility of the restaurant manager or the supervisor on duty to write a full explanation on the check, together with her/his disposition, and subsequently noted in the departmental log book.
- The lost bill shall be closed in Accounts Receivable or Bills on Hold in the POS terminal as per instructions from Finance or the Food and Beverage Department head.
- The lost bills need to be followed up by the concerned managers and every effort needs to be made to get it settled by the customer.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the purpose of this SOP?
Q2. Explain the procedure for lost bills by F&B staff.
Q3. Explain the standard process for lost customer checks.
Q4. What does it mean by a lost check?
Q5. Where should the lost bills be settled in POS?
SOP Number: Food and Beverage Service SOP - 53 Department: Food and Beverage Service – General Policy Date Issued: 01-11-2019 Time to Train: 15 Min