Stewarding SOP for Working with Dishwashing Machine (DOs AND DON'Ts)
SOP Number: Kitchen / F&B Production SOP – 32
Department: All Kitchen and Stewarding Staff
Date Issued: 13-Feb-2019
Time to Train: 30 Minutes
Purpose of this SOP:
All stewarding staff must have complete knowledge about dishwashing machines, their handling and their maintenance etc.. Dishwashing Machine is the machine intended to wash all the meal equipment in Food & Beverage Department like Glassware / Chinaware / Flatware / Hollowware. All stewarding staff must familiarize themselves with the correct standard and procedures on handling the kitchen equipment.
The Executive Chef and Stewarding Manager should be responsible to ensure that appropriate kitchen equipment cleaning and maintenance methods are followed by the stewarding staff. The hotel training and HRD department should develop and implement proper written Kitchen Stewarding SOP's to ensure the same is implemented correctly throughout all the food preparation outlets.
What are the different Types of Dishwashing Machines?
Note: This SOP is for reference or example only, always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for your's and others safety, and also to avoid any injury while operating this equipment.
1. Single Door Type - With a single tank along with flip models.
Wash Temperature : 60 – 65 °C
Rinse Temperature : 69 – 88 °C
2. Conveyor single tank self-moving models with conveyor belts.
Wash Temperature: 60 – 65 °C
Wash Rinse Temperature: 50 – 60 °C
Wash Pre-wash Temperature: 69 – 88 °C
Wash Final Rinse Temperature: 70 – 80 °C
3. Conveyor Double Tank - self-moving models with double tanks.
Pre-washTemperature:: 50 - 60 °C
WashTemperature: 60 - 70 °C
RinseTemperature: 70 – 80 °C
Final Rinse Temperature: 80 – 88 °C
4. Conveyor Plate - for special plates and big functions.
5. Glass washer: For special glassware
Name some companies which makes professional dishwashers?
6. Winter Halter.
What are the parts of a dishwashing machine?
1. Wash Arm
2. Rinse Arm
4. Wash arm Tubs
7. Drain Valve.
8. Strainer Try.
9. Door Handle.
How to set up a dishwashing machine before use?
1. Check its overall cleanliness and ensure all parts are installed properly.
2. Close the drain valve correctly. Also, close the door handle quietly.
3. Turn on the main power.
4. Push the ON button: water will then be filled automatically until the required level.
5. The machine is ready to be operated. Wait for the maximum temperature to be achieved and wait until 3 or 4 racks are available to be washed.
6. Turn the ON-OFF button but not the main power: doing so can drop the temperature.
7. Report all damages to the Supervisor for an immediate follow up to the Engineering Department.
How to operate dishwashing machine?
1. Dishwasher water replacement.
a. Once every two hours.
b. When the chemicals are overloaded.
c. The water is dirty and smelly.
d. When instructed by the Supervisor.
2. Ensure machine is running correctly.
a. Check temperature.
b. Check chemical dispenser.
c. Check the water supply.
3. Handling the equipment.
a. Work quickly but carefully.
b. Keep the dishwashing machine clean.
c. Obey the procedure.
DOs & DON'Ts while operating the dishwasher:
DO pre-scrap dishes thoroughly.
DO use only detergents recommended by the manufacturer or chemical professional.
DO at the end of the day, thoroughly cleanse the machine, rinse, and dry (leave doors open).
DO closely follow your chemical professional's prescribed decaling / deliming schedule.
DO use only products formulated to be safe on stainless steel.
DO NOT over soften water (recommended water hardness range is 0.025 –0.075 grams per litre).
DO NOT use detergents formulated for residential dishwashers.
DO NOT allow food soil to accumulate on the tank bottom.
DO NOT exceed the chemical manufacturer's recommended concentrations for detergent, sanitizer, rinse aid, or limescale remover.
DO NOT use steel wool to clean ware or ware washer surface.
DO NOT allow foreign objects to enter the unit, especially metallic contaminants.
DO NOT hose down the outside of the machine.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the purpose of this SOP?
Q2. What are the different Types of Dishwashing Machines?
Q3. Name some companies which makes professional dishwashers?
Q4. What are the parts of a dishwashing machine?
Q5. How to operate dishwashing machine?