Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Linen Room Supervisor
As a Linen Room Supervisor or Laundry Supervisor, your main responsibility is to oversee the laundry operations and ensure that all linens and garments are cleaned and maintained in a timely and efficient manner. You will be in charge of managing a team of laundry workers, assigning tasks, and ensuring that they follow the proper cleaning procedures.
Additionally, you will be responsible for maintaining inventory levels, ordering supplies, and keeping track of budgets. It is important that you have strong organizational skills and attention to detail to ensure that all laundry items are properly accounted for and maintained.
Communication skills are also crucial in this role, as you will be required to work closely with other departments such as housekeeping and maintenance to ensure that laundry needs are met. Flexibility and adaptability are also key, as the laundry needs of the facility may vary depending on the season and occupancy levels.
Overall, this role requires a strong work ethic, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. If you have a passion for cleanliness and organization, and enjoy working in a team-oriented environment, then this may be the job for you.
As a Linen Room / Laundry Supervisor you are responsible for overseeing the team of Linen and uniform attendants toward achieving the operational objectives while ensuring that the hotel’s operational standards are met.
Additionally responsible for managing overall daily operations of the Linen and laundry rooms. Also, ensure quality controls are in place and manage customer service inquiries.
Linen Room Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage overall daily operations of the Linen Room.
- Ensure quality controls are in place for all linen processes, rejecting any exceptions.
- Responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the linen area.
- Assist the Laundry Manager on his day-to-day duties.
- Oversee the loading of carts and place them accurately as requested.
- Oversee in getting filled linen carts to designated areas.
- Ensure linen and laundry supplies are ordered and controlled in line with Business and Events.
- Ensure a clean and tidy linen room at all times and report to the management if any items have been damaged (linen as well as uniforms).
- Report to the Laundry Manager in case any uniforms need to be discarded or replenished.
- Ensure that linen and uniforms are properly stored and recorded.
- Ensure that the proper procedure is followed when linen or uniform needs to be discarded.
- Ensure that all uniforms are ready for special events as well as for any seasonal events.
- Ensure proper loading and unloading of dryers, and also set proper temperature for different items that require drying.
- Receive records and oversee sorting of clean uniforms from laundry and arrange them properly on the shelves and racks.
- Ensure team members adhere to all Health and Safety Regulations.
- Keep and update the Laundry/linen productivity report daily.
- Take linen that is spotted out and place it separately for re-washing or special treatments.
- Any linen that is torn is placed separately and returned to the Linen room for repair.
- Keeps linen for all different departments separate.
- Issue linen to Food and beverage outlets as per requisitions.
- Issue uniforms to all employees and maintain uniform records.
- Oversee the issuing of linen via the hotel’s requisition system.
- Check all uniforms for any loose buttons and hems and give them to the tailor for mending.
- Attends and participates in in-service education classes, on-the-job training programs, etc.
- Schedules preventative maintenance of laundry equipment and coordinates with the engineering department for any maintenance issues.
- Recommends equipment, linen, and chemical purchasing needs to the Department Head in budget preparation.
- Assists in standardizing the method in which laundry tasks will be performed.
- Makes recommendations to the Laundry Manager / Executive Housekeeper.
- Manage customer service issues quickly and effectively.
- Responsible for proper running of equipment and proper amounts of chemicals.
- Train, develop, and appraise the laundry team and Carry out stock takes as per management policy.
- Assists in the recruitment and selection of laundry personnel.
- Assigns schedules and duties to laundry staff as per business needs.
- Assists in determining staffing requirements necessary to meet the Laundry Department’s needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned and can carry out any other reasonable task set by the hotel’s management.
Good command of written and spoken English communication skills, along with strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities are essential.
You should have previous minor supervisory experiences within the Housekeeping Department of a hotel. Computer literacy and previous experiences with Opera are an advantage.
Intermediate or Equivalent or Diploma or vocational hospitality training. Computer literacy in using MS Office along with experience in using inventory management software and Hotel Management systems like Opera / Fidelio etc.
4 to 5 years of experience in Laundry operations in 5-star or full-service hotels or other large-scale laundry service operations.
Linen Room Supervisor or Laundry Supervisor Interview Questions:
Here are some interview questions tailored for a Linen Room Supervisor or Laundry Supervisor position, along with salary details:
- Can you describe your experience in managing linen room or laundry operations in a hospitality setting?
- Look for candidates with relevant experience and a clear understanding of the unique challenges in managing linens or laundry in a hotel or similar environment.
- How do you ensure the efficient processing of linens while maintaining high quality and cleanliness standards?
- Assess the candidate’s knowledge of laundry processes, quality control measures, and their ability to balance efficiency with maintaining quality standards.
- What strategies do you use to manage and optimize linen inventory levels?
- Evaluate the candidate’s organizational skills and their approach to managing linen stock to meet the demands of the establishment.
- How do you handle and address issues such as damaged or stained linens?
- Assess the candidate’s problem-solving skills and their ability to manage challenges related to the condition of linens.
- Can you provide an example of how you’ve trained and motivated your team to ensure a smooth and efficient workflow in the linen room or laundry department?
- Look for candidates who have experience in leading and developing a team, with a focus on productivity and quality.
- How do you ensure that your team adheres to safety and sanitation standards in linen room or laundry operations?
- Assess the candidate’s knowledge of safety protocols and their commitment to maintaining a clean and safe working environment.
- Describe a situation where you had to implement changes or improvements in linen room or laundry operations. How did you approach it?
- Evaluate the candidate’s ability to identify areas for improvement and their capacity to implement positive changes.
Salary Details: The salary for a Linen Room Supervisor or Laundry Supervisor can vary based on factors such as experience, location, and the size of the establishment. As of January 2022, the salary range for this position in the United States was approximately $40,000 to $60,000 per year. However, salaries may have changed, so it’s recommended to consult recent industry salary surveys or HR professionals for the most up-to-date information in your specific region or industry.