Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Reservation Manager in Hotels
A hotel reservation manager is responsible for ensuring that guests have a seamless experience when booking rooms in a hotel. This individual will oversee the reservation staff and work closely with other departments in the hotel to ensure that guests receive the highest level of service.
The hotel reservation manager will be responsible for managing the reservation system, which includes ensuring that all bookings are accurately recorded and that guests are informed of any policies or procedures related to their stay. They will also be responsible for managing the room inventory, making sure that rooms are available for booking, and coordinating with other departments to ensure that rooms are clean and ready for guests.
In addition to managing the reservation system, the hotel reservation manager will also be responsible for training and supervising reservation staff members. This includes recruiting, hiring, and training new staff, as well as providing ongoing support and guidance to existing staff members.
To be successful in this role, the hotel reservation manager must have excellent communication skills, be highly organized, and have a strong attention to detail. They must also be able to work well in a fast-paced environment and be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Overall, the hotel reservation manager plays a critical role in ensuring that guests have a positive experience when booking rooms in a hotel. By managing the reservation system and supervising staff, they help to ensure that guests receive the highest level of service and enjoy a comfortable and memorable stay.
Ensures smooth and efficient operations in the department through prompt, effective, and proper reservations service to achieve maximum room revenue to meet or exceed the revenue target.
Supervising General Job Performance of reservation staff implementing policies and procedures under the guidance of the Front Office Manager, training, and performing any other duties requested by the Front Office Manager or Room Division Manager.
RESERVATION MANAGER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Knowing the entire Reservation Procedure according to the International Hotel manual system.
- Responsible for Hotel and Local Reservations and Reservation – Links to Best Western World Wide.
- Handling of correspondences, sorted-out letters, telexes, faxes, and cables which are checked already by the Front Office Manager.
- Allocate daily tasks to Reservations staff.
- Review reservations booked daily.
- Review arrival report daily.
- Responsible for the preparation of occupancy forecast.
- Responsible for training staff.
- Responsible for the implementation of policies and procedures.
- Responsible for recording Company/Travel Agent Rates both in the system and correspondence file.
- Liaise with the Sales Department in regards to occupancy, Rates Reservation Analysis.
- Identify Producing Accounts to ensure proper recognition by Reservation staff.
- Knowledgeable in hotel and guest room facilities/services and ensures reservations agents are equally knowledgeable.
- Responsible for various Production reports and supplies to each department concerned.
- Monitoring Telephone manners and general performance of reservations staff daily.
- Ensure special handling of repeat guests and very VIP guests.
- Observe and ensure that proper telephone manners are maintained at all times
- Monitors and coordinates group reservations activity with the Sales Department and Revenue Manager
- Follows up on tentative bookings and updates reservation status
- Reviews no-show and cancelled reservations and processes charges according to the hotel’s policy
- Review room blocking for Long Stay. Suites and special group requests.
- Supervising Group Reservations.
- Maintain cordial relations with commercial clients.
- Bring to the attention Front Office Manager when the hotel availability status is changed and prepare for necessary action.
- Responsible for work schedule
- Responsible for maintaining a Neat and Orderly position at all times.
- In general, perform any other duties that might requested by the Front Office Manager or Room Division Manager.
Experience and Education :
Minimum 3 years experience as Reservation supervisor or Asst. Manager of a reputed hotel.Graduation from an accredited college or university in an appropriate curriculum and considerable experience related to this class of work including some supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
POSITION TITLE RESERVATION MANAGER
REPORTS TO: FRONT OFFICE MANAGER
Interview Questions For a Hotel Reservation Manager Position:
Interviewing candidates for a Hotel Reservation Manager position involves assessing their leadership skills, experience in reservation management, knowledge of reservation systems, and their ability to optimize revenue. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
- Can you provide an overview of your experience in hotel reservation management?
- This question allows the candidate to give a summary of their relevant experience and background.
- How do you ensure the efficient and accurate operation of the hotel reservation system?
- Assess the candidate’s technical skills and their understanding of reservation system management.
- What strategies do you use to maximize revenue through effective room rate management and inventory control?
- This question evaluates the candidate’s understanding of revenue management strategies and their ability to optimize pricing and inventory.
- How do you handle overbooking situations and minimize the impact on guest satisfaction?
- Assess the candidate’s problem-solving skills and ability to navigate challenges related to reservation management.
- Can you describe a time when you successfully implemented a reservation system upgrade or transition?
- This behavioural question allows the candidate to demonstrate their experience in managing changes to reservation systems.
- How do you analyze market trends and competitor pricing to adjust the hotel’s pricing strategy?
- Assess the candidate’s analytical skills and their ability to stay informed about market dynamics.
- What steps do you take to ensure the confidentiality and security of guest information in the reservation system?
- Evaluate the candidate’s understanding of privacy and security protocols, crucial for maintaining guest confidentiality.
- How do you collaborate with other hotel departments, such as sales and marketing, to align reservation strategies and achieve overall business goals?
- This question assesses the candidate’s teamwork and communication skills, as collaboration is vital in reservation management.
- What key performance indicators (KPIs) do you consider most important in evaluating the success of reservation operations?
- Assess the candidate’s understanding of relevant performance metrics and their ability to measure and track success.
- How do you handle guest complaints or concerns related to reservations, and what steps do you take to ensure guest satisfaction?
- Evaluate the candidate’s customer service and communication skills, as they are crucial in managing guest relations related to reservations.
Salary for a Hotel Reservation Manager Position:
The salary for a Hotel Reservation Manager can vary based on factors such as the size and type of the hotel, location, and the candidate’s experience. As of January 2024, the average annual salary for a Reservation Manager in the United States ranged from $50,000 to $80,000 or more, depending on the factors mentioned.
It’s important to note that salary figures can change over time, and it’s advisable to refer to the latest industry reports, salary surveys, and local job market data for the most up-to-date information on salaries for Hotel Reservation Managers.