Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Restaurant Captain
A restaurant captain is an important member of the restaurant team. They are responsible for managing the front-of-the-house operations and ensuring the overall customer experience is a positive one. The restaurant captain’s job description includes greeting customers upon arrival, managing reservations, and assigning tables to guests.
In addition to managing the seating arrangements, the restaurant captain also oversees the waitstaff and ensures that they are providing excellent service to guests. They are responsible for training new waitstaff and ensuring that all team members are familiar with the menu, specials, and wine list.
The restaurant captain must be knowledgeable about food and beverage service and have excellent communication skills. They are responsible for handling customer complaints and resolving any issues that may arise during service.
Overall, the restaurant captain plays an important role in ensuring the success of the restaurant. They are responsible for creating a welcoming atmosphere and providing exceptional customer service to all guests.
As a restaurant captain, you are responsible for promoting and ensuring guest satisfaction, maintaining a safe and sanitary work environment, and ensuring only the highest quality products are being served.
Establishes rapport with guests to build guest loyalty and gather constructive feedback to ensure the satisfaction of every individual guest. Also to handle daily team member relations, and encourage problem-solving by team members through proper training and empowerment.
Restaurant Captain Duties and Responsibilities:
- Always greet and welcome guests promptly in a warm and friendly manner.
- Always thank and give fond farewell to guests conveying anticipation for their next visit.
- Assist guests with table reservations.
- Assist guests while seating.
- Ensure guests are serviced within the specified time.
- Has a good knowledge of menu and presentation standards.
- Speak with guests and staff using clear and professional language, and answer phone calls using appropriate telephone etiquette.
- Able to answer any questions regarding the menu and assist with menu selections.
- Able to anticipate any unexpected guest need and react promptly and tactfully.
- Always applies service techniques correctly at all times, and serves Food & Beverage items with enthusiasm.
- Serve food courses and beverages to guests.
- Set tables according to the type of event and service standards.
- Record transactions/orders in Point of Sales systems at the time of order.
- Communicate with the kitchen regarding any menu questions, the length of wait, and product availability.
- Communicate additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen.
- Check with guests to ensure satisfaction with each food course and beverage.
- Responsible for clearing, collecting, and returning food and beverage items to the proper area.
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas, china, glass, etc. throughout the shift.
- Reviews order dockets ensuring accurate and timely preparations for order requirements accordingly.
- Present accurate final bill to guests and process payment.
- Perform shift closing on the Point of sales terminal and tally cash and credit card settlements.
- Ensures that the restaurant is always kept clean and organized, both at the front as well as the back of house areas.
- Ensures that hotel brand standards and SOPs are consistently implemented.
- Work with fellow staff and managers to ensure that the restaurant achieves its full potential.
- Completes the daily responsibilities that are set for each shift.
- Complete closing duties, including restocking items, turning off lights, etc.
- Conducts monthly inventory checks on all operating equipment and supplies.
- Take an active role in coaching and developing junior staff.
- Any other duties related to food and beverage service assigned by the manager.
Position Title: Restaurant Captain / Restaurant Supervisor
Reports To: Restaurant Manager / Asst F&B Manager
Good command of both spoken and written English.
Should have a pleasing personality.
Excellent guest service skills.
Good knowledge of food and beverage service.
Diploma or degree in Hotel Management or related field. Familiar with Point-of-sale systems, MS Office, Property management systems, etc.
2 – 3 years of work experience in Food & Beverage gained from a 5-star international property, along with 1-year experience in a Captain position or a similar role an advantage.
Interview Questions For a Restaurant Captain Position:
When conducting an interview for a Restaurant Captain position, it’s important to assess candidates for their leadership skills, customer service abilities, and experience in managing restaurant operations. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
Leadership and Management Skills:
- Can you describe your experience in a leadership role within the restaurant industry, particularly as a Restaurant Captain?
- Look for candidates with a strong background in restaurant management and leadership.
- How do you motivate and lead your restaurant staff to provide exceptional customer service and meet performance targets?
- Assess their leadership style and ability to inspire and guide a team.
- Describe a challenging situation you faced as a restaurant captain and how you resolved it.
- Evaluate their problem-solving and decision-making abilities under pressure.
Customer Service and Guest Experience:
- How do you ensure a positive dining experience for guests, and how do you handle customer complaints or concerns?
- Assess their commitment to customer satisfaction and problem-solving skills.
- Can you provide an example of a time when you went above and beyond to exceed a guest’s expectations in the restaurant?
- Evaluate their dedication to delivering exceptional service.
- What strategies do you implement to control costs, manage inventory, and optimize the overall financial performance of the restaurant?
- Assess their financial management and budgeting skills.
- How do you ensure efficient workflow and coordination between the kitchen and the front-of-house staff to provide a seamless dining experience?
- Evaluate their operational and coordination skills.
- How do you foster teamwork and collaboration among restaurant staff members, including chefs, servers, and support staff?
- Assess their ability to work collaboratively and create a positive work environment.
Salary Information For Restaurant Captain Position:
Salaries for Restaurant Captains can vary based on factors such as location, type of restaurant, and level of experience. As of January 2024, the average annual salary for Restaurant Captains in the United States ranged from $40,000 to $60,000.
However, salaries can vary, and it’s advisable to check the latest salary data from reliable sources for the most current information. Keep in mind that specific industries or regions may have different salary ranges, so research is based on the relevant context.