Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Breakfast Attendant
A Breakfast Attendant is responsible for ensuring that guests receive a warm and friendly welcome when they enter the restaurant or coffee shop. They must be able to anticipate guests’ needs and ensure that they are met in a timely and efficient manner.
A typical day for a Breakfast Attendant involves setting up the dining area, including arranging tables and chairs, and ensuring that all necessary supplies are stocked and ready to go. They may also be responsible for taking guests’ orders and preparing food items such as eggs, toast, and coffee.
In addition to these tasks, a Breakfast Attendant must also be able to handle cash and credit card transactions, as well as maintain accurate records of all sales and transactions. They must be able to work well under pressure and remain calm and professional at all times.
Overall, the role of a Breakfast Attendant is an important one in any restaurant or coffee shop, as they are often the first point of contact for guests. With a friendly demeanor and a willingness to go the extra mile, they can help ensure that guests have a positive and memorable dining experience.
As a Breakfast Attendant, you would be primarily responsible for setting up, maintaining, and breaking down the breakfast buffet and for maintaining the breakfast dining area. With minimal supervision provide exceptional guest service by welcoming them and being well attended at all times.
Responsible to track and record all complimentary / paid breakfast for hotel guests and walk-ins. And also maintains the breakfast and lobby area in a clean and organized condition at all times.
Breakfast Attendant Duties and Responsibilities:
- Normal duty timings are from 0530 AM to 01 PM.
- Welcoming and providing personalized service to all guests.
- Assists guests by helping them to sit and pour coffee, cleaning tables, and also cleaning dining and buffet areas.
- Attend to hotel guest needs and requests.
- Must be aware of restaurant menu items and beverage choices.
- Must know about the entire property, services, hours of operation, locations, nearby places of interest, etc.
- Prepare and consistently maintain dining area and supplies in a guest-ready atmosphere.
- Preparing foods such as fruit and milk machines or dispensers.
- Responsible for stocking coffee, juice, and milk machines or dispensers.
- Ensure breakfast items are continually replenished and presented appealingly.
- Setting out / arranging cold food such as sweet rolls, muffins, donuts, cereal, etc, for self-service.
- Wiping up spills and maintaining cleanliness of all appliances and counter space throughout the breakfast shift.
- Clearing and cleaning tables as they are vacated.
- Inspect the cleanliness and presentation of all china, glass, and silverware before use.
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the shift, practicing clean-as-you-go procedures.
- Any other duties around preparation, set up, and service of the complimentary breakfast.
- Maintain the inventory of all breakfast products.
- Able to work with point-of-sale software and inventory software.
- Generate KOT (Kitchen order ticket), add modifiers or remarks, and able to make settlements in case of paid breakfasts.
- Washing, wiping serving equipment, and returning it to storage.
- Locking refrigerators, restocking items, turning off lights, locking doors, and completing daily cleaning checklist.
- Returning reusable supplies to storage.
- Responsible for taking inventory of food, beverages, and supplies for each day.
- Assist with closing duties, including storing all reusable goods, breaking down goods, cleaning all equipment and areas, and returning equipment to proper locations.
- Work as a team member in aspects such as cleaning, side work, food preparation, and storage.
- Closeout shift by cleaning and restocking supplies for the next day or shift.
- Ensure guests are provided with the highest quality product and service at all times.
- Solve guest issues with professionalism and always maintain a hospitable attitude.
- Any other duties as requested by the restaurant supervisor/captain or manager.
Position Title: Breakfast Attendant
Reports To: Restaurant Manager / Restaurant Captain
Service-minded, friendly professional behavior.
Multi-task, remain associate and guest service centric.
Good knowledge of Food and Beverage Services.
Diploma in hotel management or similar qualification. Proficiency in working with Computers, Point of Sale (POS), and Inventory software.
One to two years experience in a similar role, preferably in a full-service or luxury hotel.
Interview Questions for a Breakfast Attendant position:
When interviewing candidates for a Breakfast Attendant position in a restaurant or coffee shop, it’s important to assess their customer service skills, attention to detail, and ability to maintain a clean and inviting breakfast service area. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
Customer Service and Communication:
- Can you describe any previous experience you’ve had in a customer service or food service role, especially in a breakfast setting?
- Look for candidates with relevant experience and a customer-focused attitude.
- How do you ensure a positive and welcoming experience for guests during breakfast service?
- Assess their commitment to customer satisfaction and creating a friendly atmosphere.
- How do you handle special requests or dietary restrictions from guests during breakfast service?
- Evaluate their ability to accommodate guest needs and preferences.
Breakfast Setup and Maintenance:
- Can you describe your approach to setting up and maintaining the breakfast service area, including food displays, condiments, and utensils?
- Assess their attention to detail and commitment to a clean and organized environment.
- How do you ensure that breakfast items are well-stocked and replenished throughout the service period?
- Evaluate their organizational skills and ability to manage inventory.
- Can you provide an example of a time when you had to handle a spill or cleanliness issue during breakfast service and how you managed it?
- Assess their problem-solving skills and ability to handle unexpected situations.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- How do you communicate effectively with other staff members to ensure smooth coordination during breakfast service?
- Evaluate their teamwork and communication skills.
- In what ways do you contribute to creating a positive work environment for the breakfast service team?
- Assess their ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
Salary Information for a Breakfast Attendant position:
The salary for Breakfast Attendants in a restaurant or coffee shop can vary based on factors such as location, type of establishment, and level of experience. As of January 2024, the average hourly wage for breakfast attendants in the United States ranged from $10 to $15.
However, salaries can vary, and it’s advisable to check the latest salary data from reliable sources for the most current information. Keep in mind that specific industries or regions may have different salary ranges, so research based on the relevant context.