The Main Security Functions Of Hotel Front Office
The Front Office Department plays a crucial role in ensuring the security of a hotel. This department is responsible for managing the entry and exit of guests, employees, and visitors. They also handle the security of the hotel’s assets, such as cash, valuables, and confidential information.
One of the primary functions of the Front Office Department is to monitor the hotel’s CCTV cameras. These cameras are strategically placed throughout the property to ensure that all areas are covered. The Front Office Department staff are trained to identify any suspicious activity and notify the appropriate personnel immediately.
Furthermore, the Front Office Department is responsible for checking the identification of guests during check-in and ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the hotel’s rooms and facilities. They also issue room keys and monitor key usage to ensure that only authorized personnel have access to the rooms.
In addition, the Front Office Department is responsible for handling emergencies, such as fire or medical incidents. In such cases, they are trained to remain calm and act swiftly to ensure the safety of guests and employees.
Overall, the Front Office Department plays a critical role in ensuring the security and safety of a hotel’s guests, employees, and assets.
Although the role of the Front Office is the responsibility of every guest, yet Front Desk staff plays an important role as they have the opportunity to observe all persons entering or departing the premises.
The Main Security Function of the Front Office is protecting the Guests and Property. They are 1) People: Guest’s health, comfort, or well-being. Employees & others. 2) Property – Hotel Equipment, machinery, Hotel Room Supplies, fixtures & fittings, software, revenue, reputation, etc.
Front Office Functions for Guest Security
- The Front Desk staff should never disclose information about the guest to anyone.
- Front office staff should prohibit the staff from providing any information about the guests to any caller or visitors.
- Should never give room number, room keys, and messages or mail of the guest to anyone else.
- Screening of caller before connecting the call to the guest/ no connection of the call without the permission of the guest.
- Should also inform the guests of personal precautions they may take.
- The bellboy should give instructions to the guest on equipment use.
- Flyers/ pamphlets of safety tips should be placed in the rooms.
- Front Office Staff also help protect guests’ personal property.
- Front Office staff is also important to asset protection (charging guests for breakages etc.).
Front Office Functions for Property Security
- The building should be enclosed with a fence, high-rise concrete wall, wired, etc.
- Adequate lighting on all sides of the property.
- Security guards/ manning of all entries/ exits.
- CCTV was placed at all strategic locations inside and outside the buildings.
- X-ray machines for luggage scanning.
- Inverted Mirrors for scanning of the lower side of cars/ vehicles.
- Underground scanners for cars/ vehicles.
- Underground Tyre-cutters for cars/ vehicles.
- Door-framed Metal detectors.
- Handheld scanners.
- Frisking of all guests/ visitors.
- Multi-purpose room keys (for the use of lift/ entry for adjacent mall etc.)
- Use of Sensors or Fire alarms.