GROOMING AND HYGIENE STANDARDS FOR FRONT DESK STAFF
Guest Expectation: I expect a high level of personal grooming and hygiene from all employees. I pay high room rates and I expect there to be high standards of grooming and hygiene which complement the facilities of the hotel.
1) Report on Duty :
- Present yourself in a tidy appearance toward our customers and represent the highest standards of service.
- Report on duty 5 – 10 minutes before your shift starts.
2) Staff grooming & hygiene:
- Brush your hair before going on duty.
- Ensure that shoes are clean and polished before going on duty.
- Females must wear appropriate stockings with black court shoes where heels do not exceed two inches.
- Males must wear black socks and shoes.
- Change your uniform regularly in the Housekeeping Linen Room.
- Clean-pressed uniforms must be worn with neatly brushed hair, polished shoes, a clean name badge, and no buttons missing.
- Contact the Housekeeping Uniform Linen Room if buttons are missing.
- Contact the HR Department if your name badge is damaged or lost.
- Change your socks/stockings daily.
- Ensure nails are well-trimmed, only clear or pale nail polish for female staff
- Only one ring and watch are permitted, small earrings for female staff.
- Take a bath daily.
- Brush your teeth daily and always wear a smile. Use a breath freshener if necessary.
- Teeth should be clean and the breath must be fresh. This can be achieved by cleaning the teeth regularly and visiting the dentist for check-ups regularly.
- Deodorant/eau de toilette cologne/aftershave may be used but not so much that it is offensive.
- Earrings, beards, and moustaches are forbidden for male staff.
- Light cosmetics with colours that complement the uniform and skin tones may be worn. Lipstick of a suitable colour must be worn at all times.
- If make-up is worn it should be light and natural-looking. Avoid vivid colours, like bright blues or violets around the eyes, and make sure the blusher does not look too dramatic. Bright lipstick colours should also be avoided.
- Be aware of your posture. Walk briskly with a straight back and do not lean on walls.
- Never run in the lobby.
- Check your appearance in a mirror in the locker rooms before going on duty.
- Female hair length beyond the shoulder must be neatly tied/ bundled.
- Men must have short well-combed hair that doesn’t extend below the collar or over the ears.
- Avoid excessive use of hairsprays and gels, as they can make the hair look stiff and unnatural.
- Do not use unnatural hair colors e.g. green, blue, unnatural blond, etc.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. Why do I have to report on duty 5 to 10 minutes earlier?
Q2. Why are grooming and hygiene important for myself, the hotel, and our guests?
Q3. Why do I have to take a bath daily and brush my teeth twice a day?
Q4. How regularly do we have to change our uniform?
Q5. What do I have to do if I have missing buttons on my Uniform?
SOP Number: Front Office SOP - 15 Department: Front Office - General Date Issued: DATE THE DOCUMENT WAS CREATED Time to Train: 30 Minutes