How to Handle Guests Awaiting For Room?
Handling Guest Awaiting For Room Standard Procedure:
Search for vacant dirty
- Search for the guest reservation.
- In case of a walk-in guest, create a reservation for the guest according to the registration procedure.
- If a vacant clean room is not available immediately, search for a vacant dirty room at first and call the housekeeping to rush rooms.
- Make sure you have given enough time to clean the room.
- If the hotel software or PMS has a functionality of ‘Queue or Queuing’ flag the reservation as on queue. (This will also help to log how much time the guest has been waiting for a clean room on arrival)
- In case require help Housekeeping cleans rooms as needed in order to not keep the guests waiting for a room. (This shows our care for the guests.)
- While the guest is waiting for the room to get ready issue a welcome drink or breakfast coupon.
- Issue the welcome drink coupon to the guest by saying: “Mr / Mrs. Bond, the room we blocked to you is under cleaning, and Housekeeping has been informed to rush room and it may take about 30 minutes. May I invite you to have a complimentary breakfast/drink in our lobby lounge? I will let you know as soon as the room is available.“
Keep monitoring the room status:
- Keep monitoring the room status in hotel software/PMS.
- Get updated room status directly with the room attendant or housekeeping control desk as and when required.
Upon the room being cleaned:
- As soon as the room status is changed to the vacant clean, send the room key and welcome booklet to the guest personally. By saying: “Mr./Mrs. Bond, I am sorry to have kept you waiting. Now the room is ready, the room number is 101. Thank you for your understanding.”
- Apologise for the waiting and introduce the GSA or Concierge to escort the guest to the room.
- Show the check-in of the room in the system immediately. (Change the status to confirmed from on-queue or as per the hotel software functionality before check-in)
- Use any courtesy service to delight guests.
- As the room connects with the telephone line after check-in the GSA or Front Desk Assistant should anticipate any guest request.
SOP Number: Front Office SOP – 67
Department: Front Office - Reception
Date Issued: 19-Aug-2019
Time to Train: 30 Minutes
Back Office Job Description
Duties and Responsibility
Front Office Formats
Front Office Setup
Front Office Training
Hotel Staff Job Description
Hotel Staff Training
SOP F&B Service
SOP Finance and Accounting
SOP Front Office