Banquets Back-Of-House Setup & Equipment Storage
The front-of-house is a reflection of what happens in the back-of-house. It reflects the team’s ability to work in a clean and organized way, and with discipline. Where the back of the house (BOH) is neglected, operations personnel will find it more difficult to provide an efficient service for guests.
- The back-of-house shall be impeccable at all times.
- Equipment must be stored in the appropriate area and the furniture taken care of properly.
- The cleanliness of this area is of vital importance to maintain hygiene standards.
- For each large function, one person will be in charge of organizing the b-o-h. Her/his responsibilities include the following :
- She/he will make sure that all waiters, bartenders, stewards, and cooks respect the back-of-house rules ensuring that it remains an efficient working area.
- She/he will ensure that all the required equipment for serving the next course or drink is ready and, wherever needed, she/he will assist in setting up.
- She/he will prepare the whole set-up for the coffee service.
- She/he will assist the Chief Steward in efficiently organizing the cleaning station.
- All equipment must be returned to its storage place as soon as the function is finished.
- Every piece of equipment has its storage place which must be organized efficiently. This will ease access to this equipment.
- Proper storage of equipment will result in less breakage and damage.
- In every storage room, signs must indicate where each piece of equipment is to be stored.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the back of the house in Banquet?
Q2. Why it is important to keep the back of the house clean and clutter-free?
Q3. What are the tasks to perform for persons responsible for ( b-o-h)back of the house during banquet functions?
Q4. What is the importance of proper equipment storage?
Q5. Why proper signs must indicate where each piece of equipment in kept?
SOP Number: Food and Beverage Service SOP - 28 Department: Food and Beverage Service – Banquet Date Issued: DATE THE DOCUMENT WAS CREATED Time to Train: Estimated time for training