Buffet setup and Maintenance in Banquets
Banquet Buffet setup:
The hotel offers different kinds of buffets. Each hotel/outlet category has several buffet set-ups to choose from according to the budget and selection of dishes.
Buffets must be rigorously set up according to the pre-established layouts. Any buffet set-up must fulfil the following requirements :
- Efficient for both guest service and replenishment.
- Layout and decoration are attractive for the customer.
- Adequate lighting, with colours if required.
- Sufficient power points for connecting all the required electrical appliances.
- Sufficient quantity of alternative heating fuel, e.g., gas, and adequate corresponding safety features.
- The buffet service shall be similar to that applied in the restaurant procedure.
- The buffet shall be ready 15 minutes before the starting time indicated on the BEO.
Maintain The Buffet:
Keep hot items hot:
- If there is less than one-quarter of an inch of water in the liners of hot chafing dishes, use a pitcher of water to refill the liners.
- If the chafing dishes are heated by canned, gel-type fuel then make sure the cans stay lit, and replace them when they become empty.
- Replace the lid on serving dishes when guests are not in the buffet line.
Keep cold items cold:
- Use pitchers to add ice to the buffet as needed to keep the containers holding cold items surrounded by ice.
- Remove ice that gets into the food containers and replace any items that become waterlogged.
Refill Food and water:
- When a container is less than one-quarter full get a full container from the kitchen.
- Remove the old container and replace it with the full one. Do not combine food from the old and new containers.
- Bring the old container to the kitchen and give it to the appropriate person.
- Place enough drinking water glasses filled at all times.
Maintain service ware:
- Restock dishes when there are fewer than ten dishes in a stack. Never let a stack get below five dishes.
- Make sure each container has an appropriate serving utensil.
- Return serving utensils to the correct containers.
- Replace utensils that fall on the floor with clean utensils from the kitchen.
- Use a damp, food-safe cleaning cloth to wipe spills on the buffet table.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. Why it is important to have a buffet layout which is efficient for guest service?
Q2. What items are taken care of while setting up a buffet?
Q3. How to keep hot items hot in the Buffet?
Q4. How to replace/replenish food containers?
Q5. How to maintain service ware during banquet functions?
SOP Number: Food and Beverage Service SOP - 30 Department: Food and Beverage Service – Banquet Date Issued: DATE THE DOCUMENT WAS CREATED Time to Train: 30 Minutes