Different Modes For Starting Diesel Generator
Different Modes For Starting Diesel Generator (DG) Set
Diesel Generator (DG) sets are an essential part of any hotel’s power backup system. In the event of a power outage, the DG sets kick in automatically to ensure uninterrupted power supply to the hotel’s essential services and guest rooms. However, starting a DG set is not as simple as pressing a button. There are different modes for starting a DG set, and each mode is designed to cater to different requirements.
The most commonly used mode is the Auto Start mode, where the DG set starts automatically when there is a power outage. This mode is useful when the hotel needs an immediate power backup and cannot afford any delay in starting the DG set.
Another mode is the Manual Start mode, where the DG set is started manually by the hotel staff. This mode is useful when the hotel wants to control the power supply to different sections of the hotel and does not want the DG set to start automatically.
The third mode is the Remote Start mode, where the DG set is started remotely using a switch or a mobile app. This mode is useful when the hotel staff is not present on the premises and needs to start the DG set from a remote location.
It is essential to choose the right mode of starting the DG set based on the hotel’s requirements. Hotels must ensure that their DG sets are well-maintained and serviced regularly to ensure they are always in working condition when needed.
The following procedures are adopted for starting a diesel generator set using a battery:
1. Push-button (Manual)
2. Autostart (Auto)
3. Test mode (For the testing purpose)
Note: The mode of operation can be selected by means of the selector switch.
1. Push Button Start/ Manual Mode:
- After pressing the start push button and turning the ignition key toward the start position, the battery is connected to the starter which cranks the engine shaft resulting in the start of the engine.
- This arrangement can also be provided in small DG sets.
- This requires the least physical effort to start a DG set.
- To prevent damage to the starter, do not push the start button for more than 10 to 12 seconds.
2. Auto Starting System/ Auto mode:
- This method is adopted where the supply from the generator is regularly required.
- In this mode, the DG set starts automatically in case of (i) mains failure, (ii) low/high mains voltage beyond 150-250 V for a single-phase DG set, and 360-460 V for 3-phase.
- DG set (iii) single phasing or phase reversal of the main supply.
- When the engine starts and the alternator reaches the preset voltage, the DG contactor closes and automatically restores the supply to the load.
- The auto-start system makes three attempts to start, in case it fails to start, the starting system automatically disconnects and locks out.
- After the restoration of healthy mains voltage, the DG contactor opens and the main supply is extended to the load.
- However, the DG is set continuously to run for 3 minutes and shut down after that if the main supply remains stable.
- During the above-mentioned 3 minutes, if the mains fail again, the DG shutdown sequence is discarded and the DG contactor closes again to restore the DG supply to the load.
3. Test mode
- In this mode, all functions are likely to manual mode but DG supply can not be transferred to load. This mode is provided for to test the DG set.
- What is the primary purpose of Diesel Generator (DG) sets in a hotel’s power backup system?
- In the event of a power outage, what is the role of DG sets in ensuring uninterrupted power supply to a hotel’s essential services and guest rooms?
- Why is starting a DG set not as simple as pressing a button, and what are the different modes for starting a DG set?
- Describe the Auto Start mode for DG sets. When is it typically used, and what is its primary advantage?
- Explain the Manual Start mode for DG sets. In what situations is this mode preferable, and why might a hotel choose to start the DG set manually?
- What is the Remote Start mode, and how is it different from the other modes? When is this mode particularly useful for hotels?
- Why is it essential for hotels to choose the right mode of starting the DG set based on their specific requirements?
- In what scenario would a hotel opt for the Auto Start mode over the Manual Start mode, and vice versa?
- How does the Remote Start mode contribute to the flexibility and convenience of managing DG sets in a hotel?
- What measures should hotels take to ensure the proper functioning of DG sets, as mentioned in the article?
- Explain the importance of regular maintenance and servicing of DG sets in hotels, and how does it contribute to their reliability during power outages?
- In summary, why is understanding and selecting the appropriate mode for starting DG sets crucial for hotels in maintaining a reliable power backup system?
These questions cover various aspects of the information provided, assessing the reader’s understanding of the different modes for starting DG sets and the importance of proper maintenance in a hotel setting.
SOP Number: Hotel Engineering SOP – 30 Department: Engineering and Maintenance Date Issued: 10-Jan-2019 Time to Train: 15 Minutes