Standard Procedure for Hotel Telephone Sales Calls
SOP Number: S&M – 14
Department: Sales and Marketing – Sales
Date Issued: 27-Jul-2017
Time to Train: 30 Minutes
Different Types Of Sales Telephone Calls:
Telephone sales calls are the most economical ways to find and also to sell products to prospect customers / bookers.
Both incoming and outgoing sales calls plays an important role in hotels sales and marketing activities.
All Sales and Marketing team members should have good telephone etiquette, listening and communication skills.
Some of the important communication skills are tone of your voice, understandability, enthusiasm etc.
Listing skills include limited talking, getting involved, showing interest, asking questions etc.
Below are different types of telephone sales calls done by the S&M team:
1) Prospect Calls: The main objective of such type of call is to gather maximum inform of the potential company and to find the key decision makers.
2) Qualifying Calls: Are done to determine if the prospect company or bookers can afford the services provided by the hotel. Such type of calls are important to find out if the company has a requirement for hotel's rooms, banquet or other services.
3) Appointment Calls: Made to briefly introduce a prospective client about the services and facilities offered by the hotel and try to get a an appointment for direct meeting. Such type of calls doesn't generate any sales but the main purpose is to agree for an appointment with the booker / decision maker.
4) Sales Calls: The main objective of this type of call is to make an immediate sale during the call. This is normally performed by very well trained telephone sales team and they need to sell the benefits of bookings at the hotel rather than the features or services.
5) Service Calls: Once the guest or booker confirm the hotel services a follow-up call need to be made to the booker just to check any changes or additional services needed. For Banquet event booking such calls can also help to identify any changes expected etc.
7) Feedback Calls: Once the hotel services or facilities are used by the booker or guest a feedback call is made by the sales manager to know about the experience, suggestions or any complaints during their stay or event.
Such feedback are always recorded on to the sales and marketing software and also informed the relevant team or departments.
8) Public Relations Calls: Such type of calls are made to generate goodwill. Made to regular or repeat guests, Loyalty members, bookers etc. by the Director or Sales, General Manager or other key executive in the hotel.
9) Incoming Calls: The sales department also receives many incoming calls and the team should always provide a positive impression to all kind of incoming calls. Some examples of incoming calls are general enquiries, reservation enquiry, response to advertisements, response to promotions etc.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. Why telephone sales are important to the sales and marketing department?
Q2. What are the different types of sales calls?
Q3. Who is responsible for public relations call?
Q4. Give some examples of incoming calls?
Q5. What is the main purpose of appointment calls?