Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Housekeeping Room Attendant
A Room Attendant, Room Boy or Room Maid is responsible for ensuring that guest rooms are cleaned, organized, and replenished with the necessary amenities. The job requires attention to detail, physical stamina, and an ability to work independently or as part of a team.
The main duties of a Room Attendant include changing bed linens, vacuuming and dusting the room, cleaning the bathroom, restocking toiletries, and ensuring that the room is free of any debris or garbage. They may also be responsible for responding to guest requests and ensuring that any special requirements are met.
In addition to cleaning duties, a Room Attendant may also be required to perform basic maintenance tasks such as replacing light bulbs and reporting any issues to the maintenance team. They may also be responsible for restocking and organizing cleaning supplies.
A successful Room Attendant should have a positive attitude, excellent communication skills, and be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, as guests expect a clean and comfortable environment during their stay.
Overall, the role of a Room Attendant is crucial to ensuring that guests have a pleasant and comfortable experience during their stay at a hotel or resort. It is a rewarding job that offers opportunities for growth and development within the hospitality industry.
Performs routine duties in cleaning and servicing guest rooms and baths under the supervision of the housekeeping supervisor. Room attendant promotes a positive image of the property to guests and must be pleasant, honest, and friendly and should also be able to address guest requests and problems.
He/She should maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all housekeeping departmental policies/services and also the hotel’s procedures/standards. Additionally, maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment.
ROOM BOY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enters and prepares the room for cleaning.
- Dusts the room and furniture.
- Replenishes guestroom and bath supplies.
- Cleans the bathroom.
- Cleans the closet.
- Vacuum and rack the carpet.
- Checks and secures the rooms.
- Replenish amenities according to the operational standards.
- Deliver and retrieve items on loan to guests e.g. ironing and ironing boards
- Ensure security of guest rooms and privacy of guests
- Perform rotation cleaning duties (e.g. steam clean carpets, spring cleaning, super cleaning, etc.) as required
- Cleans guest bathroom/bedroom/floor corridor.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly, and acknowledge all guests, however busy and at whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of assigned work areas.
- Empty trash containers and ashtrays.
- Remove all dirty terry and replace with the clean par to the designated layout.
- Remove soil, dirt, soap build-up, and hair from bathroom mirrors, vanity, sink, toilet, shower walls, bathtub, shower curtain, and floor.
- Replace facial, toilet tissue, and bathroom amenities in the correct amount and location.
- Inspect the condition of bathrobes and replace soiled/damaged ones.
- Remove dirty bed linen and makeup the bed with clean linen.
- Replace laundry bags and slips.
- Clean closets and door tracks on check-out rooms, removing dust and debris. Ensure the correct amount and placement of hangers, extra blankets/pillows, and luggage racks.
- Dust and polish all furniture.
- Realign furniture to the floor plan.
- Responsible for replenishment of guest complimentary water.
- Responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of his work area.
- Responsible for the Hotel property in the work area.
- Attends to guest calls, guest requests /guest complaints in the area assigned to him.
- Authorize to enter guestrooms for cleaning and providing turndown services as per requirement.
- Responsible for following the standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for achieving and exceeding the guest satisfaction score.
- Update the status of rooms cleaned on the assignment sheet.
- Return and restock cart at end of shift.
JOB TITLE: Room Attendant / Room Boy
REPORTS TO: Housekeeping Supervisor
Physical mobility and stamina are required, the Ability to follow instructions, a Detail-oriented, and Professional attitude is required, Ability to work independently.
A secondary school diploma is preferred, Physical mobility and stamina are required, the Ability to follow instructions, a Detail-oriented, Professional attitude is required, Ability to work independently.
Previous hotel-related experience desired.
Interview Questions for Room Attendant, Room Boy, or Room Maid positions:
When interviewing candidates for Room Attendant, Room Boy, or Room Maid positions, it’s important to focus on their attention to detail, customer service skills, and ability to work efficiently. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
1. Attention to Detail:
- How do you ensure that each room is cleaned thoroughly and meets the hotel’s cleanliness standards?
- Can you provide an example of a time when you identified and rectified a cleanliness issue in a guest room?
- What steps do you take to ensure all amenities and supplies in the room are properly stocked and presented?
2. Time Management:
- How do you prioritize your tasks when cleaning multiple rooms in a limited amount of time?
- Can you share a situation where you had to complete a room cleaning task under time pressure? How did you handle it?
- What strategies do you use to manage your time effectively and ensure timely completion of assigned tasks?
3. Customer Service:
- How do you ensure a positive guest experience while cleaning rooms?
- Can you provide an example of a time when you went above and beyond to meet a guest’s special request or preference?
- How do you handle situations where a guest is present in the room while you are cleaning?
4. Teamwork and Communication:
- How do you coordinate with other members of the housekeeping team to ensure smooth operations?
- Can you describe a situation where you had to collaborate with colleagues to address a challenge or complete a task?
- How do you communicate with your supervisor or team leader about any issues or concerns regarding room cleaning?
5. Adaptability and Flexibility:
- How do you handle changes in the daily schedule or unexpected requests from guests?
- Can you share an example of a situation where you had to adapt to a last-minute change in room assignment or task?
- How do you prioritize tasks when faced with unexpected challenges during your shift?
Salary for Room Boy, Room Attendants or Room Maid positions:
The salary for Room Attendants, Room Boys, or Room Maids can vary depending on factors such as the location, type of establishment, and the candidate’s experience. As of January 2024, the average salary for these positions in the United States ranged from $25,000 to $35,000 per year.
It’s important to note that salary figures may have changed since my last update, and it’s recommended to refer to more recent sources such as industry reports, job boards, and salary surveys to obtain the most current information for your specific location and industry.