Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Banquet Event Coordinator
Event Coordinators or Banquet Coordinator are professionals responsible for planning and organizing events, typically in a hospitality setting. They are responsible for ensuring that the event runs smoothly, from beginning to end. This can include coordinating with vendors, managing budgets, creating timelines, and overseeing the setup and teardown of the event space.
They also work closely with clients to ensure that their needs and expectations are met and that the event is a success. Overall, an Event Coordinator or Banquet Coordinator is an essential part of any event planning team and is instrumental in creating a memorable experience for all involved.
As an Event Coordinator, you are responsible for meeting with the group coordinator/event hosts before functions, making introductions, and ensuring that all arrangements are agreeable. Read and analyze banquet event orders to gather guest information, determine proper setup, specific guest needs, buffets, action stations, etc.
Working closely with the banqueting team, they are responsible for the execution and delivery of all events, maximizing revenue, utilization of meeting space, and working to achieve or exceed the defined budgeted revenues for the banquet department.
Event Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation of BEO- Banquet Event Orders and responsible for ensuring they are issued and distributed in a timely fashion.
- Prepare all typed materials like proposals, contracts, change forms, and all other inter-departmental forms accurately.
- Distribute Daily Events reports to ensure communication with all internal departments throughout the hotel.
- Answer banquet and outdoor catering sales inquiries and route them to the appropriate sales manager for handling.
- Monitor all correspondence to ensure it meets with Hotel policy and procedures.
- Respond within 24 hours to any Group, checking space/rates in the system and communicating to the respective Manager for further follow-up.
- Work closely with the Banquet Manager to ensure all aspects of the event have been cost-effective and serviced both clients and hotel needs.
- Tour, inspect, and monitor banquet rooms and presentations.
- Respond to requests for proposals for small meetings/events including set-up, food and beverage needs, rooms, and audio-visual needs.
- Communicating client requirements in a timely and accurate manner to all internal departments as required, ensuring delivery of superior guest service.
- Ensure accurate follow-up and communication both internally and to the guest/client.
- Ensure that Opera Sales and Catering / Other Banqueting software are updated daily for all event space bookings.
- Ensure that all accounts are properly updated in the banqueting system.
- Ensure there are enough sales kits available for any customer visit.
- Ensure feedback received from the host/guests is passed on to all departments.
- Ensure a positive working relationship between all departments.
- Able to generate various reports from Banqueting systems and Excel to track group and event revenue etc.
- Arrange and manage familiarization / educational trips in line with business needs.
- Attending various trade shows and assigned sales trips with accurate follow-up reports.
- Follow up with the Sales Manager to obtain/confirm all event-related information promptly.
- Maintain valid call objectives and relevant action plans for each key account/key prospect and ensure all follow-up is done promptly.
- Maintain up-to-date activity and rate information for each account on the banqueting system.
- Maintains high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include compliance with the dress code.
- Participate in daily business review meetings, sales meetings, and management meetings.
- Any other job related to banqueting assigned by the management.
Position Title: Event Coordinator / Banquet Coordinator
Reports To: Banquet Manager / Sales Director
Excellent communication skills are necessary.
Knowledgeable at negotiating and sales.
Confident at presenting presentations.
Must be flexible to accommodate irregular or extended hours duties.
Degree or diploma in hotel management or Degree in Business administration. Advanced computer skills – Knowledge of Hotel software / PMS or Sales + Catering software.
Minimum 1 to 2 years work experience as a Sales Coordinator or Banquet coordinator in a luxury or full-service hotel required.
Interview Questions For Event Coordinator or Banquet Coordinator position:
When interviewing candidates for an Event Coordinator or Banquet Coordinator position, it’s essential to assess their organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to coordinate and execute successful events. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
Event Planning and Coordination:
- Can you describe your experience in event coordination, especially in a banquet or hospitality setting?
- Look for candidates with a strong background in planning and executing events.
- How do you approach the planning process for different types of events, such as weddings, corporate meetings, or banquets?
- Assess their versatility and adaptability to various event types.
- Can you share an example of a successful event you coordinated, highlighting your role in its success?
- Evaluate their past achievements and contributions to events.
Communication and Client Interaction:
- How do you communicate with clients to understand their event requirements, preferences, and expectations?
- Assess their communication skills and ability to build rapport with clients.
- How do you handle client concerns or changes in event details, and how do you ensure client satisfaction throughout the planning process?
- Evaluate their problem-solving and customer service skills.
Logistical and Operational Skills:
- What steps do you take to ensure that all logistical details, including setup, catering, and audio-visual requirements, are executed seamlessly during an event?
- Assess their attention to detail and organizational skills.
- How do you coordinate with different vendors and suppliers to secure necessary services for events?
- Evaluate their ability to collaborate with external partners.
Time Management and Multitasking:
- How do you manage your time effectively when planning and coordinating multiple events simultaneously?
- Assess their time management and multitasking abilities.
Problem Solving and Adaptability:
- Can you provide an example of a time when you faced unexpected challenges or changes during an event and how you handled them?
- Evaluate their problem-solving and adaptability skills.
Salary Information For Event Coordinator or Banquet Coordinator position:
Salaries for Event Coordinators or Banquet Coordinators can vary based on factors such as location, type of venue, and level of experience. As of January 2024, the average annual salary for Event Coordinators in the United States ranged from $40,000 to $60,000.
However, salaries can vary, and it’s advisable to check the latest salary data from reliable sources for the most current information. Keep in mind that specific industries or regions may have different salary ranges, so research is based on the relevant context.