Job description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Bus Person in Restaurants
A restaurant bus person is an important member of the restaurant staff who is responsible for ensuring that the dining area is clean, well-stocked, and ready for customers. The job description of a restaurant bus person includes a variety of tasks that are crucial to the smooth operation of the restaurant.
One of the primary duties of a restaurant bus person is to clear tables of dirty dishes, glasses, and silverware. They must be quick and efficient in their work so that tables can be cleared and reset as quickly as possible. This is an important task, as customers expect a clean and tidy dining area when they arrive at a restaurant.
In addition to clearing tables, a restaurant bus person must also be responsible for keeping the dining area clean and organized. This includes sweeping and mopping the floors, wiping down tables and chairs, and ensuring that the restaurant is properly stocked with supplies such as napkins, straws, and condiments.
Another important aspect of the job is assisting the wait staff as needed. This may include refilling drinks, delivering food to tables, and helping to answer customer questions or concerns.
Overall, the job of a restaurant bus person is essential to the success of any restaurant. They play an important role in maintaining a clean and organized dining area, and in providing excellent customer service to all patrons.
A Bus Person He / She is responsible for setting and clearing restaurant tables, stocking all service stations, and assisting food servers with table service to ensure total guest satisfaction.
Quickly clear dirty table settings and prepare a table for resetting. Promptly and consistently reset all service ware as prescribed.
BUS PERSON DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains the cleanliness and sanitation of the dining area, including all tables and chairs.
- Restock the dining room and side stations with tableware, flatware, utensils, condiments, and linen.
- Always maintain adequate supplies in the side station when the restaurant is open.
- Prepare all beverages required for service, including coffee, iced tea, and hot water.
- Fill up the curated set and other condiments.
- Greet guests after they are seated.
- Reset tables with fresh linens and set the table according to the meal period.
- Pick up food from the kitchen and bring it to the side stations.
- Assist restaurant servers to serve the guests.
- Pour water and refill coffee and tea cups.
- During busy periods assist servers by serving food and beverages to guests.
- Perform outlet opening duties such as setting tables, and chairs, Chef in dish or chaffing dish, and printing item/dish names for placing in front of the dishes.
- Cleaning side stations and stocking and replenishing side station supplies.
- Emptying and cleaning food preparation carts.
- Cleaning the coffee urn and the bread warmer.
- Returning soiled linens to the laundry.
- Collecting fresh linens and taking them to the restaurant/room service/banquet room.
- Flexibility and adaptability to a changing clientele and environment.
- Other duties deemed necessary by Supervisor, Manager, and/or Department Director.
- Responsible for conducting all responsibilities professionally and ethically.
- Responsible for maintaining a consistent, regular attendance record.
JOB TITLE: Bus Person
REPORTS TO: Restaurant Manager / Supervisor
A high school diploma or GED equivalent is required.
Previous experience in a similar Job role.
Interview Questions For Bus Person Position:
When conducting an interview for a Bus Person position, it’s important to assess candidates for their ability to maintain cleanliness, assist in table turnover, and provide support to the waitstaff. Here are some interview questions you might consider:
- Can you describe any previous experience you’ve had as a bus person or in a similar role in the hospitality industry?
- Look for candidates with relevant experience or a background in customer service.
- How do you prioritize which tables to clear first during peak dining times?
- Assess their ability to manage tasks efficiently and work in a fast-paced environment.
- What steps do you take to ensure that tables are cleaned thoroughly and quickly for the next guests?
- Evaluate their attention to detail and commitment to maintaining a clean and welcoming environment.
- How do you handle situations where a customer requests assistance or has a specific request for their table setup?
- Look for candidates who are attentive to customer needs and can provide excellent service.
- Can you describe a time when you had to handle a spill or a mess in the dining area? How did you manage it?
- Assess their ability to handle unexpected situations and maintain composure under pressure.
- How do you communicate effectively with the kitchen and waitstaff to ensure smooth coordination during busy periods?
- Evaluate their communication skills and teamwork.
- In what ways do you contribute to creating a positive dining experience for guests as a bus person?
- Look for candidates who understand the importance of their role in overall customer satisfaction.
- What sanitation practices do you follow to ensure the cleanliness of dining utensils, glassware, and other table items?
- Assess their knowledge of hygiene and sanitation standards.
- How do you manage your time effectively to ensure that all assigned tasks are completed within a reasonable timeframe?
- Evaluate their time management and organizational skills.
- Can you discuss the importance of teamwork in a restaurant setting and how you contribute to a collaborative work environment?
- Look for candidates who value teamwork and can work well with others.
Salary For Bus Person Position
As for the salary for Bus Persons, it can vary based on factors such as location, type of establishment, and experience level. As of January 2024, the average annual salary for Bus Persons in the United States ranged from $20,000 to $30,000. However, salaries can vary, and it’s advisable to check the latest salary data from reliable sources for the most current information.