Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary For Hotel Accounts Payable Clerk Position
As a Hotel Accounts Payable Clerk, your main responsibility will be to manage all accounts payable transactions for the hotel. This includes processing invoices, verifying transactions, reconciling accounts, and preparing reports.
You will also be responsible for maintaining accurate records of all transactions and ensuring that all payments are made on time. In addition to this, you will be required to communicate effectively with vendors and other departments within the hotel to resolve any issues or discrepancies.
To be successful in this role, you should have strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work well under pressure. You should also have a good understanding of accounting principles and be comfortable working with accounting software.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding role in the hospitality industry, then this may be the perfect job for you. So, if you are interested in becoming a Hotel Accounts Payable Clerk, then we would love to hear from you.
The hotel accounts payable clerk is responsible for processing invoices and payments for the hotel. This includes verifying invoices, coding invoices, and entering invoices into the hotel’s accounting system. The accounts payable clerk also reconciles statements and processes payments.
HOTEL ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives, processes, verifies, and reconciles invoices to complete payments and control expenses.
- Petty cash is a fund of money controlled by an individual from which minor purchases of goods or ser... is distributed by recording entries and verifying documentation.
- Calculates sales taxes and reports them on paid invoices.
- By keeping information confidential, the organization’s value is protected.
- Processed work is reconciled by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances.
- Employees are paid by receiving and verifying expense reports and requests for advances, as well as preparing checks.
- Participates in educational opportunities to update job knowledge.
- Completes related results as needed to fulfil accounting and organizational missions.
- Verifies and posts account transactions to accounting ledgers.
- Reconciles monthly statements and related transactions to verify vendor accounts.
- Microfilms and files documents to preserve historical records.
- Analyzes invoice/expense reports and records entries to charge expenses to accounts and cost centres.
- Monitors discount opportunities, verifies federal identification numbers, schedules and prepares checks, and resolves purchase orders, contracts, invoices, or payment discrepancies and documentation.
- Ensures that credit for outstanding memos is received.
- Stop payments and purchase order amendments are issued.
JOB TITLE: HOTEL ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK
REPORTS TO: Finance Manager
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS:
- Capability to communicate and collaborate effectively with hotel staff, corporate management, and internal customers.
- Attention to detail, problem-solving, and troubleshooting abilities are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- An AA or BS/BA degree in Accounting, Business, or a related field is preferred but not required.
- Multitasking ability, ability to work under pressure, and ability to meet deadlines.
Minimum two years experience in accounting; prior hotel/resort experience preferred.
Interview Questions for a Hotel Accounts Payable Clerk Position:
- Can you describe your experience in accounts payable, specifically within the hotel industry?
- This question assesses the candidate’s familiarity with accounts payable processes and their understanding of how it applies to the hotel sector.
- How do you ensure accuracy and completeness in processing invoices for hotel services and supplies?
- Evaluates the candidate’s attention to detail and their ability to manage the accounts payable process efficiently.
- Can you share an example of a time when you identified and rectified an error in an invoice or payment?
- This behavioral question assesses the candidate’s problem-solving skills and their attention to accuracy.
- How do you prioritize and handle multiple invoices and payments in a fast-paced hotel environment?
- Assesses the candidate’s organizational skills and ability to manage workload effectively.
- Have you used any specific accounting software or tools for managing accounts payable in hotels?
- Knowledge of relevant software is crucial in this role. This question helps gauge the candidate’s technical proficiency.
- How do you ensure timely payments to vendors while adhering to the hotel’s financial policies and procedures?
- This question assesses the candidate’s understanding of financial controls and adherence to company policies.
- What steps do you take to reconcile vendor statements and resolve discrepancies in accounts payable records?
- Demonstrates the candidate’s understanding of reconciliation processes and their commitment to maintaining accurate financial data.
- How do you stay updated on changes in accounting regulations and industry best practices in accounts payable?
- Demonstrates the candidate’s commitment to professional development and staying informed about changes in the field.
Salary for a Hotel Accounts Payable Clerk Position:
As of January 2024, the average salary for a Hotel Accounts Payable Clerk in the United States ranged from $35,000 to $50,000 annually. However, these figures can vary based on factors such as location, the size and prestige of the hotel, and the candidate’s level of experience.
To obtain the most accurate and up-to-date salary information, it’s recommended to consult industry reports, salary surveys, and job boards specific to your region and the hospitality sector. Additionally, reaching out to local HR professionals or recruitment agencies can provide insights into the current compensation trends for accounts payable roles in hotels.