Procedure to Follow While Entering Rooms and Greeting Guests
When it comes to housekeeping, one of the most important aspects is entering guest rooms. While it may seem like a simple task, there are certain protocols that must be followed to ensure guest satisfaction and safety.
First and foremost, always knock before entering a guest room. This shows respect for the guests’ privacy and gives them a chance to prepare themselves or ask for more time. If there is no answer after a few knocks, use your master key to enter the room.
Once inside, greet the guests with a smile and introduce yourself. Let them know that you are there to clean the room and ask if they have any special requests or preferences. If they are not in the room, leave a note to let them know that housekeeping has been there and when they can expect the room to be cleaned.
During the cleaning process, be sure to check for any personal items that may have been left behind and handle them with care. Keep the noise level to a minimum and avoid touching any electronic devices or personal belongings unless necessary.
Finally, make sure to leave the room in pristine condition, with fresh linens, towels, and amenities. And always remember to thank the guests for choosing your hotel and for allowing you to serve them.
By following these simple guidelines, you can ensure that guests feel welcome, respected, and satisfied with their housekeeping experience.
- The houseman knocks the guestroom door thrice.
- Announce. “Housekeeping”
- Wait for two minutes.
- Open the door.
- Announce yourself and enter the room.
Greetings of guest:
- On seeing a guest, the staff greets the guest depending on the time of the day along with a smile.
- Use the guest’s name when known.
Staff have to greet the guest with a smile depending on the time of the day:
00.00 – 11.59 – “Good morning”
12.00 – 17.59 – “Good afternoon”
18.00 – 23.59 – “Good evening”
Answering guest queries:
- Find out the exact details required, by listening carefully and noting them down.
- Ask appropriate questions about requirements.
- Confirm all the details back to the guest at the time of inquiry to ensure correct information.
- Give the required information. If it is a matter that will take time, tell the guest-specified time in which you can get back to him.
- All guest queries have to be listened to attentively and dealt with immediately in a smiling, courteous manner.
- Staff have to take personal responsibility for the guest queries and get back to the guest within the specified time.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. How to Enter the guest room?
Q2. After knocking on the door how long should you wait?
Q3. How to greet the guest?
Q4. How to find out the guest requirements?
Q5. What has to be done if there is a delay in the requested service?
SOP Number: Housekeeping SOP - 01 Department: Housekeeping – Guest Room Maintaining Date Issued: DATE THE DOCUMENT WAS CREATED Time to Train: 30 Minutes