How to De-Crumb a Table in a Restaurant?
Purpose of this SOP:
A clean and neat table at any time is a sign of quality and standard for any Food and Beverage service outlet. It is therefore very important to ensure that the concerned F&B employees know how to de-crumb a table in a professional manner and by respecting the hotel’s operating standards.
1. Preparation for De-Crumbing the Table:
- Use Metal crumbier for linen surfaces.
- Use a clean wiping cloth for non-linen surfaces.
- Use a Bread and butter Plate.
- Wipe up spills, bread crumbs, etc as soon as possible.
- Have your equipment ready and de-crumb in a steady way.
- Always wipe crumbs from chairs and tables into a napkin or a side plate.
- Always smile and do not interfere in the conversation of the guest unless asked.
- Have menu lists and notepad ready.
- Know the dessert specials of the day.
- Do not touch the guests or lean over them.
2. De-crumbing a table:
- Once the guest has finished the main course and all the items have been removed – except for glasses and the dessert cutlery.
- Before offering the dessert menu.
- Before serving the dessert.
- Approach the table.
- Always smile genuinely.
- Excuse yourself to the guest!
- Then Start at the right-hand side of the guest and decrumb half of the space in front of him.
- If the dessert cutlery is on the table pull down the spoon and position it on the right-hand side of the guest.
- Move clockwise to the left-hand side left-handest and de-crumb.
- Pull down the dessert fork if it’s there and position it on the left-hand side of the guest.
- Move on clockwise to the next guest and repeat the steps above.
- De-crumb as quickly as possible, so as not to disturb the guests, And never lean over the guest.
- Ensure that the crumbs end up on the plate and not on the guest’s clothes or the floor.
- Don’t leave any crumbs on the table.
3. Leaving the table:
- Put your B&B plate on to the side table.
- Present the dessert list after opening and from the right side of the guest.
- Make suggestions.
- If the guest does not want dessert, ask for the coffee order.
- Refill water/wine glasses if needed.
- Position dessert cutlery straight.
- Remove empty beverage glasses and exchange ashtrays as needed.
- Ask the guest if they would like you to bring or do anything else for them at this time.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the purpose of this SOP?
Q2. How to prepare for de-crushing the table?
Q3. List the equipment used for de-crumbing.
Q4. What are the steps for de-crushing the table?
Q5. Points to note while leaving the guest table?
SOP Number: Food and Beverage Service SOP - 46 Department: Food and Beverage Service – Restaurant Date Issued: 01-07-2018 Time to Train: 30 Min