Stewarding SOP for Staff Canteen / Cafeteria Service
SOP Number: Kitchen / F&B Production SOP – 35
Department: All Kitchen and Stewarding Staff
Date Issued: 19-Feb-2019
Time to Train: 40 Minutes
Purpose of this SOP:
Establish standard operating policies to maintain and safeguard the cleanliness of materials, equipment, and general areas of the canteen and to serve the meal requirements of all hotel employees. Additionally stewarding team is also responsible for recording all the eating employees on the report book in daily, weekly, and monthly period to be reported to Human Resource and Chef.
The Executive Chef and Stewarding Manager should be responsible to ensure that appropriate kitchen equipment cleaning and maintenance methods are followed by the stewarding staff. The hotel training and HRD department should develop and implement proper written Kitchen Stewarding SOP's to ensure the same is implemented correctly throughout all the food preparation outlets.
What are the staff canteen pre-opening, opening and closing duties?
1. Read the log book.
2. Prepare the equipment:
a) Cleaning materials.
c) Today’s requirements.
Area Cleaning (8 - 9 A.M.)
Clean the upper parts first:
1. Bain-marie/food storage.
2. Ice cubes storage.
3. Table and chair.
4. Clear up station area.
5. Stainless steel.
6. Floors, etc.
7. Ensure that everything is clean and appropriate.
First Preparation (9 - 10 A.M.)
Make the decoy system:
1. Glass racks.
2. Cutlery soaking pot.
3. Cup/plates soaking pot.
4. Trash bin.
5. Hand wash, napkin, etc.
Prepare dining essentials:
1. Check all the cutleries, chinaware, glassware, trays, etc, and ensure everything is clean and orderly.
2. Check the coffee/water heater, dispenser machine, and chiller. Ensure everything is properly filled and in good conditions.
3. Make hot coffees and prepare the ice cubes.
Second Preparation (10 - 11 A.M.)
1. Assist the canteen cooks in preparing the foods from the kitchen to the canteen.
2. Carry the food from the kitchen to the canteen.
3. Arrange and place the food in the food storage/bain-marie with the help of canteen cooks.
Opening the canteen and serve the meals (11 A.M. – 1 P.M.)
1. Monitor the employees during meal time.
2. Record all the eating employees.
3. Clean and wipe all the equipment, tables, and chairs on the canteen. Always control the cleanliness of the area.
4. Take all the dirty equipment and wash them properly with the dishwashing machine in the kitchen area.
5. Rearrange all the cutleries according to their types.
6. Always coordinate and communicate to the canteen chefs in the case of low supplies.
7. After meal times take the foods and return them to the kitchen.
Resting (1.30 – 2.30 P.M.)
Canteen Closing Duties:
Preparation/Cleaning (2.30 – 4 P.M.)
1. Commit cleaning projects as scheduled.
2. Brief and hand over the job to the next shift (3 P.M.)
Preparing Reports for Human Resources Department:
1. Daily report: write on the log book the amount of eating employees.
2. Make a weekly report of breakage.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the purpose of this SOP?
Q2. What are the pre-opening duties in the staff cafeteria/canteen?
Q3. Explain the procedure for opening of the canteen and serving the meals to the hotel staff?
Q4. Explain what is the second preparation and when does it start?
Q5. What are the reports which is prepared by the canteen staff?