Standard Operating Procedure for Engineering Boiler Operation
SOP Number: Hotel Engineering SOP – 03
Department: Engineering and Maintenance
Date Issued: 10–Feb-2018
Time to Train: 30 Minutes
Engineering Boiler Operation Standard Procedure:
1) Fill the feed water in the coil with the help of feed water pump till the time water comes out of the by-pass line.
2) The boiler can be fired by putting the rotary switch in the fire position. (or as per the operation manual supplied by the manufacturer.)
3) Below sequence will take place for the firing to start in boiler:
* A signal is given to sequence controller from ON/OFF pressure switch.
* After that blower and fuel pump are started.
* Then after the pre-purging time is over, ignition and burner are energised to produce a spark and spray fuel in the combustion chamber.
5) The boiler will automatically stop at the set pressure by the high steam pressure switch.
6) Min valve should be opened slowly so that pressure does not drop below 5 Kg/cm because it is low-pressure safety.
7) Then as per the demand of steam boiler will work ON-OFF.
8) If the boiler is running continuously for 8 hrs. It is necessary that boiler is given a blow-down so that if any scale has settled at bottom of coil they will come out so that the possibilities of sudden coil chocking will be eliminated and monitoring over the quantum of scale formation can be done.
In order to perform blowdown the following points to be noted:
a) Let boiler go at a high (set temperature) preferably to be noted.
b) Close main steam stop valve and open blow down valve.
c) Let pressure drop to 6 Kg/cm pressure drop count time, that will be a blowdown time.
9) Again blow down valve shall be closed and by-pass valve should be open and coil should be filled up with water.
10) For cooling let the temperature be brought down to 100 deg. C.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the purpose of the boiler SOP?
Q2. What is the sequence for starting a fire in boiler?
Q3. What stops the boiler from high pressure?
Q4. Explain the blowdown process?
Q5. Who is responsible for inspecting the boiler plant?