Types of Sandwiches / Classification of Sandwiches
1. American Club Sandwich: Club sandwich or Clubhouse sandwich is an American triple layer sandwich. The main ingredients in this sandwich are Lettuce, Sliced tomato, Crispy Bacon, Fried egg, Roasted Turkey or Chicken. The types of bread used in are Toasted-sliced white bread or Sandwich bread with a spread of mayonnaise, served with French fries potato and Cold slow.
2. Banh mi Sandwich: Vietnam Baguette which is often split lengthwise and filled with various savoury ingredients as a sandwich and served as a meal. Plain banh mi is also eaten as a staple food. Ingredients: Typically consists of one or more meats such as chicken, beef, Pork, etc. Additional Ingredients: Accompanying vegetables typically include fresh cucumber slices, cilantro and pickled carrots and daikon in shredded or julienne form.
4. Broadway Sandwich: Two layers of toast with smoked, Salmon, Shredded lettuce, sliced hard-boiled eggs, served with mayonnaise.
6. Burritos: A burrito is a wrapped sandwich with a flour tortilla, The tortilla is sometimes lightly grilled or steamed to soften it, make it more pliable, and allow it to adhere to itself when wrapped. The main ingredients in this sandwich are meat and beans or refried beans.
7. Canapes: are not really a sandwich but a small pieces of toast (brown or white) or biscuits or puff pastry sheets buttered and topped with meat, fish, poultry, vegetables.
8. Club Sandwich: The sandwich is usually served hot and consists of two buttered slices of toast. One slice is the base on which sliced cooked chicken, Egg lettuce, tomato grilled bacon, and mayonnaise or ham is placed. The other slice of toast is placed on top pressed, trimmed and decorated, served between the folds of a paper napkin.
9. Combination Sandwich: Are those which have more than one primary filling. A BLT ( bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich ) is a typical example. Submarines also fall in this category which is a combo of cold cuts, vegetables and cheese on a special bun. It is usually sprinkled with Italian type dressing.
10. Conventional closed sandwich: Two slices of bread with any fillings, cut into two without cutting crust.
11. Croque Madame: Croque madame is Croque Monsieur with a poached or lightly fried egg on top served as a snack or breakfast dish.
12. Croque Monsieur Sandwich: Croque Monsieur is a grilled and baked sandwich made with ham and cheese. Ingredients are Butter, Ham, Cheese and Shredded Gruyere Cheese as a topping. Also additionally whipped fresh egg for dipping the bread before grilling or Pan-frying are also added.
13. Döner Kebab: Döner Kebab is a type of kebab, the most common street food in Berlin. The origin from Turkish Made from seasoned meat stacked in the shape of an inverted cone is turned slowly on the rotisserie, next to a vertical cooking element. The sliced meat of a doner kebab may be served on a plate with various accompaniments, stuffed into a pita or other type of bread as a sandwich, or wrapped in a thin flatbread such as lavash or yufka, known as a dürüm (literally meaning roll or wrap in Turkish)
14. Double Decker Sandwich: Three slices are used with the filling placed on top, the next slices are buttered and placed on top, lettuce, tomato and cucumber placed on top of this slice. The final slice is Placed on position, pressed at rimmed and held together with a Plastic cocktail stick with stuffed olive or cherry.
15. Egg Salad Sandwich: Ingredients: Chopped or diced boiled egg, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Chopped onion, Lime juice, Chopped parsley, Salt and Ground or Crushed black pepper.
16. Falafel Sandwich: Falafel is a deep-fried ball, or a flat or doughnut-shaped patty, made from ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both. herbs, spices, and onion relatives are commonly added to the dough. It is a well-known Middle Eastern dish that most likely originated in Egypt Falafel balls are commonly served in a pita, which acts as a pocket or wrapped in a flatbread. Ingredients of Falafel are Chickpeas, Garlic, roughly chopped, Onion, Parsley, Cumin, Coriander, All-purpose flour, Salt, and Ground black pepper) combine all together by food processor, make ball shapes and deep-fried.
17. Fancy Sandwich: Chequerboard Mosaic sandwich and Pinwheel Sandwich gateau are examples of Fancy Sandwiches.
18. French Sandwich: Consists of thin slices cut from French loaf and fillings added between two slices.
19. Grilled Sandwich: Two slices of bread with fillings grilled and then served. They are kind of hot Sandwiches.
20. Gyros: Gyros is a Greek dish made from thinly sliced meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie. Similar shawarma Greece, gyros are normally made with pork though other meats are also used Ingredients: Most often pork is used as main ingredients and the types of bread used is Pita bread or Flatbread.
21. Hamburger: 2-6 oz patty of ground beef, broiled, fried or grilled to order, served on a round bun with lettuce, tomato and onion slices and the appropriate condiments . over the time many variations have been developed.
22. Hot Dog: 6-12 per pound sausage served on a special roll. It can be topped with a hot topping such as chilli or cheese sauce, or with cold topping cheese, coleslaw, and accompanied with chopped onions, and other condiments are catsup and mustard.
24. Multi-Decker Sandwich: these have more than two slices of bread or a rolling split more than once. The club sandwich is a classic example which has three pieces of toasted bread, bacon, lettuce, tomato and turkey filling. The toast is layered with mayonnaise. The sandwich is cut into quarters and served.
25. Panini Sandwich: A panini is a sandwich made with Italian bread such as ciabatta, or michetta, usually served warmed by grilling or toasting.
26. Pastrami Sandwich: New York Pastrami Sandwich is a classic sandwich made famous in the Jewish kosher delicatessens of New York City. It was first created in 1888 by Sussman Volk, who served it at his deli on Delancey Street in New York City.
27. Pinwheel Sandwich: The top crust is taken out of the sandwich loaf. It is taken sliced lengthwise, and butter and soft filling spread evenly, which is of a Colour to contrast with the spread. Each slice is rolled and wrapped firmly in a foil and chilled till it is set. It is cut into thin slices and served.
28. Po Boy Sandwich: Po' boy Sandwich is a traditional sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat, which is usually roast beef or fried seafood like shrimp, crawfish, fish, oysters or crab. Ingredients used in the sandwich are Fried shellfish or Fried fish, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and tomato ketchup as dressing.
29. Reuben Sandwich: Reuben sandwich is an American grilled sandwich. Ingredients: Corned beef, Swiss cheese, Sauerkraut. Spread: Russian Dressing is consists of Mayonnaise, Tomato ketchup, Horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, Paprika powder, Freshly ground black pepper, salt or Kosher salt.
30. Ribbon Sandwich: They are prepared by using coloured bread. Two slices of brown bread and one of white or rice versa. The sandwiches are made with three slices, and two different coloured fillings are used, they are cut into thin strips and are served.
31. Roti Bakar: Roti Bakar is Grilled Indonesian sweet sandwich.
32. Sandwich Cake: Those look like iced layer Cakes and for these, round bread loaves are used. They are sliced in two or three round slices, a different savoury spread and iced on top with soft icing containing butter cheese etc. It is cut into wedges like Cakes.
33. Shawarma: Shawarma is a dish in Middle Eastern cuisine consisting of meat cut into thin slices, stacked in a cone-like shape, and roasted on a slowly-turning vertical rotisserie or spit. Originally made of lamb or mutton, today's shawarma may also be chicken, turkey, beef, or veal. Thin slices are shaved off the cooked surface as it continuously rotates.
34. Simple Sandwich: have only one filling and the freshest ingredients should be used. The quality of the filling and the nature of the bread and spread are what can make this sandwich come to life. Remember, only the freshest bread should be used. Along with the main filling, you may also add a secondary filling such as a leaf of lettuce or a slice of tomato
35. Steak Sandwich: This is the 6-10 oz steak cooked to the guest order or doneness and served on a large roll with a lettuce, tomato and onion garnish. It may be accompanied by Horseradish sauce or mustard sauce.
36. Tea sandwich: Thin slices of bread are used with any fillings cut into triangles and crust removed. The bread is cut horizontally and filled with the ingredients such as cheese, cured meat, grilled chicken or other food, and often served warm after having been pressed by a warming grill.
37. Torta/ Tortas: Torta is a kind of Mexican sandwich. Depending on the region, this is called a bolillo, telera, birote, or pan francés. Tortas can be eaten cold or hot and grilled or toasted in a press in the same manner as a Cuban sandwich.
38. Tuna Sandwich: A tuna sandwich is a sandwich made from canned tuna—usually made into a tuna salad by adding mayonnaise, and sometimes other ingredients such as celery or onion.
39. Vada pav: The dish consists of a deep-fried potato dumpling placed inside a bread bun (pav) sliced almost in half through the middle. It is generally accompanied by one or more chutneys and green chilli pepper. Although it originated as cheap street food in Mumbai, India it is now served in food stalls and restaurants around the world. It is also called Bombay burger in keeping with its origins and its resemblance in physical form to a burger.
General Classification of Sandwiches
1. Closed Cold Sandwich: Such Types of Sandwiches can be defined as those having two slices of bread or two halves of the roll ( which can be toasted also), which have a spread applied and are filled with a cold filling.
2. Open Cold Sandwich: Are the single slice of bread with attractively arranged fillings on top with the garnishes. These are the larger versions of canapés.
3. Closed Hot Sandwich: Hot sandwiches should be served hot, They must remain hot throughout, Hot sandwich can have a hot sauce as an accompaniment and a hot sandwich can be closed or open.
4. Open Hot Sandwich: Are prepared with the bread or toast laid side by side with the filling exposed on the surface of both sides. The sandwich is then heated throughout before serving to the guest.
General Classification of Sandwiches