Job Description, Duties, Interview Questions and Salary for Conference and Events Sales Manager
As a Conference and Events Sales Manager, your main responsibility is to drive sales and revenue for the company through the planning and execution of successful conferences and events. You will be responsible for identifying and targeting potential clients, negotiating contracts, and managing the logistics of each event from start to finish.
To excel in this role, you will need to have excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as the ability to think creatively and strategically. You will also need to be able to work well under pressure and be willing to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, to ensure the success of each event.
In addition to managing the sales and logistics of each event, you will also be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with clients and industry partners. This will require you to stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices, as well as to be a strong advocate for your company and its services.
Solicit Future conference business for hotels in assigned market areas. Maintain and exceed sales targets defined by the management. Also able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and achieve daily targets, whilst offering a very high level of Customer Service.
Additionally Work directly with key decision makers from Corporate, negotiating rates and confirming their accommodation, meetings, and events.
Conference Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receiving, handling, and converting Meetings, Events, and Group inquiries.
- Planning events in conjunction with the client.
- Presenting and Selling available and suitable banquet/event options to the highest possible standard.
- Contact Meeting Planner by mail, telephone, customer outings, and site inspections.
- Arrange and carry out Hotel show rounds.
- Ensure the complete administration and execution of all planned events.
- Negotiate space, dates, and rates to obtain booking goals while focusing on shoulder and off-season business.
- Identify need periods and undertake a comprehensive program of sales activity to secure new and ad-hoc business minimizing the impact of low activity periods.
- Assist in the development and solicitation of Banquet and event package plans aimed at conference business and encourage repeat business.
- Attend trade and travel shows of various market areas for promoting hotel event business.
- Actively manage business bookings, record denials, and make network referrals.
- Make commercial decisions to maximize MICE income daily.
- Continue professional development through educational offerings made via industry trade groups and educational institutions.
- Encouraging repeat business through excellent customer service and inquiry handling.
- Build strong relationships with customers to fully understand their needs.
- Ensure online meeting partner websites are regularly updated and managed including photos, descriptions, and promotions.
- Each month review the next 6 months’ availability to highlight high or low demand dates and take steps to minimize the risk of any shortfall or overbooking.
- Ensuring all inquiries are recorded accurately in the Event Enquiry application (Opera S&M, Delphi, Protel Banquet, MICE software, etc.).
- Bring in direct guests through online marketing and advertising.
- Helping the hotel to identify new avenues of business and bring in more banquet events to the hotel.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of sales, department, and budgetary reports as and when required.
- Other duties and tasks assigned by the management within the job scope.
Position Title: Conference Sales Manager / Event Sales Manager
Reports To: Director of Sales / Sales Head
The ideal candidates should have a successful sales track record in direct sales and an ability to develop targeted prospect databases.
Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Hospitality or Sales and Marketing. Proficient in using CRM, and MS Office software applications including MS Office, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
3 to 5 Years Experience in hotel sales Banquet sales or event sales with proven track record.
Interview Questions for a Conference and Events Sales Manager Position:
- Can you describe your experience in conference and events sales, specifically within the hospitality industry?
- This question assesses the candidate’s relevant experience and familiarity with sales in the context of conferences and events.
- How do you identify and target potential clients or businesses for conference and event bookings?
- Evaluates the candidate’s sales and marketing strategies and their ability to attract clients to the hotel’s conference and event spaces.
- Can you share an example of a successful conference or event sale you’ve managed, including the challenges you faced and how you overcame them?
- This behavioral question assesses the candidate’s problem-solving skills and their ability to handle complex sales situations.
- What methods do you use to stay updated on industry trends and competitors to enhance the hotel’s conference and events offerings?
- Demonstrates the candidate’s commitment to continuous learning and adapting to changes in the market.
- How do you collaborate with other hotel departments, such as catering or operations, to ensure seamless execution of conferences and events?
- This question evaluates the candidate’s communication and collaboration skills, crucial for successful event coordination.
- What strategies do you use to negotiate and finalize contracts with clients for conference and event bookings?
- Assesses the candidate’s negotiation skills and their ability to secure favorable terms for the hotel.
- How do you handle customer feedback or concerns related to conference and event experiences?
- This question assesses the candidate’s customer service orientation and ability to address client needs and concerns.
- Have you worked with any specific sales or CRM software in your previous roles?
- Knowledge of relevant software is important in this role. This question helps gauge the candidate’s technical proficiency.
Salary for a Conference and Events Sales Manager Position:
The salary for a Conference and Events Sales Manager can vary based on factors such as location, the size and prestige of the hotel, and the candidate’s level of experience. As of January 2024, the average salary for a Conference and Events Sales Manager in the United States ranged from $60,000 to $90,000 annually.
It’s important to note that salary ranges can change, and it’s advisable to research current salary trends using industry reports, salary surveys, and job boards specific to your region and the hospitality sector. Additionally, consulting with local HR professionals or recruitment agencies can provide insights into the current compensation landscape for Conference and Events Sales Manager positions.
Overall, the Conference and Events Sales Manager role is an exciting and challenging opportunity for someone who is passionate about event planning, sales, and relationship-building. If you have the skills and experience needed to succeed in this role, we encourage you to apply today!