Kitchen SOP for Using Food Processor
To ensure the hygienic operation of the food processor while producing consistent results, always pay strict adherence to the guidelines of safety practices. The staff should make sure to safely and hygienically operate the food processor to achieve consistent results.
The Executive Chef and the Sous Chef should be responsible for ensuring that appropriate equipment operating and maintenance methods are followed by the kitchen staff. The hotel training and HRD department should develop and implement proper written Kitchen SOP’s to ensure the same is implemented correctly throughout all the food preparation outlets.
Operating Food Processor Standard Procedures:
Note: This SOP is for reference or example only, always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for your and others’ safety, and also to avoid any injury while operating this equipment.
- Always assemble the components as described by the manufacturer.
- Remove the bowl cover and add the product.
- Reinstall the bowl cover and ensure it is in the closed and locked position.
- Use the pulse setting a few times at the beginning of each processing operation to cut the product into smaller pieces, then set the control switch to the desired speed setting.
- When processing is done, turn off the unit, wait for the knife to stop, and then unplug the power cord.
- Rotate the clear plastic cover counterclockwise to unlock it.
- Lift the bowl cover assembly up and away from the machine, and then the bowl can be removed to empty the contents.
1. How to Use the Bowl Scraper?
- The bowl scraper has three legs and three lid wipers and allows for 180° motion to fully wipe the entire bowl and lid.
- During processing, the scraper handle can be moved back and forth to reintroduce partially cut product that is clinging to the sides of the bowl into the cutting area.
- The bowl scraper can also be used during processing to stir or mix liquid products.
- To move the scraper, grasp the handle and rotate it either clockwise or counterclockwise until it comes to a stop.
- The bowl scraper must be used at all times when using it with the cutter-bowl attachment.
2. How to Use the Pouring Funnel?
- The scraper handle is equipped with a pouring funnel through which ingredients may be added while the unit is operating or while it is stopped.
- Preparing the Product for Processing products, such as meat and cheese, into equal pieces of approximately one-inch cubes.
- Only then add any liquid ingredients through the pouring funnel.
- When processing, be sure to manually move the scraper handle back and forth to reintroduce the partially cut product into the cutting zone.
3. How to Use the Feed Tube?
- Twist the knob to release the catch on the feed tube pusher and pull out to expose the feed tube opening.
- The feed tube is used for slicing long, thin-shaped products, such as cucumbers or carrots, or to contain small items like radishes.
- The machine does not stop when the feed tube pusher is removed; this allows the product to be processed continuously.
- Always use the feed tube pusher.
4. How to Use the Feed Hopper?
- If the machine is running when the pusher plate is raised from the feed hopper, the machine will automatically come to a stop.
- After the food processor stops, prepared products such as potatoes, carrots, and lettuce can be placed in the large feed hopper.
- The product may be stacked on top of one back to the feed hopper.
- The food processor will automatically restart as long as the control switch is in the low or high-speed position.
- Gentle pressure on the pusher plate will feed the product through the rotating cutter plate.
Note: View the list of accessories available in the Food Processor.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the purpose of this SOP?
Q2. How to effectively work with a Food Processor?
Q3. Explain the process of using the pouring funnel.
Q4. How to feed the product through the rotating cutter plate.
Q5. Why it is important to use the pulse settings before the beginning of each process?
SOP Number: Kitchen / F&B Production SOP – 26 Department: Kitchen / Food Production - Food Processor Date Issued: 19-Dec-2018 Time to Train: 20 Minutes