Types of guest room locks used in hotels
Guestroom Security locks can be a critical aspect of guest protection. The guestroom doors and windows must be fortified to prevent forced entry. Installation of burglar proof door locking system and effective Key and key control procedure is to be followed by the hotel to ensure guestroom safety against theft.
Effective Key control in hotel is essential to the security of a lodging property. All keys whether metal or electronic should be adequately controlled.
There are many types of Locks currently available but even if the hotel buys the most secured or expensive one and they do not follow proper key controlling procedures then this will easly get into the hands of criminals.
Following are some types of Locks used in hotels:
Locks with the key channel in the knob.
Standard mortise locks, which generally include a face plate with the knob, a separate key channel on the corridor side of the door, and a dead bolt unit on the guestroom side of the door.
Mortise locks with programmable cylinders for easy changed key combinations.
Mortise locks with removable cores.
Electronic locks with random selection of new key combinations for each guest.
Electronic Number combination Locks.
Biometrics Locks. (Finger Print, Retina Scanner etc.)
A number of systems have been introduced to add to the re-key and core change capabilities of guestroom lock sets. As a security reason hotels are now having locks which is integrated to the dead bolt, so that turning the knob will automatically release the dead bolt as well as the basic latch.
Electronic Key card locks provides an effective method for "locking out" cards previously issued and allowing admission to only the current guest. Electronic card systems may also employ a touch-pad system in which a special code is established for each guest during his or her stay.
This usually requires a guest to enter a sequence of numbers known only to the guest in order to enter the guestroom. And when the guest check’s out control sequence of the prior guest is cancelled automatically and the lock set receives the communication to accept the new combination.
A variety of electronic systems are available; most include one or more of the following elements:
A mortise lock integrated with an electronic card reader.
A key card which either communicates with the front desk computer and permits entry or which is compatible with the permission-level within the microchip in the lock set unit in the guestroom door. This establishes entrance capability either at the time the key card is being produced or upon introduction to the door lock.
A computer terminal at the front desk or adjacent area which produces the key card and selects the code which will permit entry by a new key card and will reject all prior units issued for that room.
A computer capable of providing millions of combinations for entrance to a guestroom.
A battery source and/or hard-wired system for energizing the lock system.
The capability of "timing" the card so it no longer functions as of a set time, such as upon check-out.
- Front Office Staff Rules and Regulations
- Room Service / In Room dining manager - Job Description
- Babysitting request form
- Download myDBR
- SOP - Housekeeping - Babysitting Service
- Assistant Executive Housekeeper - Job Description
- Concierge - Umbrella borrow log book / tracking sheet format
- Pest Control Log Book / Sheet
- Flash and food cost
- Hello everybody,Anyone can explain what is the...
- housekeeping training supervisor topics
- New York housekeeping is really hot in repairs of...
- USALI manual
- Is there any free one?
- Hotel Lobby Music Recommendations
- would definitely go with light lounge music and...
- How important are the safeties and securities
- How do guests feel about hotel safeties and...
- Opera ver 5 - Income audit
- Hello....Find below list of opera reports....
- Reasons for Guest Returning to hotel
- 1. Anticipates guest's needs during their stay2....
- marketing assignment
- f you could kindly help me by giving me some notes...
- Hotel Owner Representative action plan
- Check out the below Hotel Pre-opening Checklist...
- Protel manual
- Hi All:Checkout the below online link for protel...