Fixed and Variable Costs in hotels
The terms Variable costs and fixed costs in hotel operation is used to distinguish between those costs that have direct relationship to Hotel occupancy and those that has no relation to occupancy and business .
Fixed costs are normally not effectecd by changes in occupancy or sales volume. They are said to have little direct relationship to the business volume because they do not change significantly when the number of sales increases or decreases.
The term fixed should never be taken to mean static or unchanging,but merely to indicate that any changes that may occur in such costs are related only indirectly or distantly to changes in volume.
Examples of Fixed costs are:
- Land, Building Taxes to government.
- Wages to employees.
- Hotel employees health premium.
- Out sourced services contracted for fixed amount in a month eg:- security services.
- Yearly maintenance contract fees ( AMC ) for all equipments, machineries and softwares.
- Fixed internet, telephone plans.
- Advertising cost.
- Yearly external auditing cost.
- In house moves / satellite TV.
- Music entertainment.
- Reservation expenses.
- Subscription - Newspaper, magazine etc.
- Human resources.
- Sales & marketing.
- Intrest on loan.
- Other fixed charges etc.
Variable costs are clearly related to hotel occupany and business volume. As business volume or occupancy increases, variable costs will increase; as hotel occupancy decreases, variable costs should decrease as well.
Examples of variable costs are:
- Food, beverages, house keeping cleaning supplies.
- Flower arrangements.
- Guest room aminities.
- Guest room, resturants and banquets linen.
- Banquet HVAC costs.
- Stationories used in Front desk and resturants.
- Chemicals for laundry and water treatment plants.
- T/A commission.
- Flower & decorations.
- Guest supplies -amenities.
- Guest relations.
- Laundry operations.
- Laundry Uniform.
- Printing supplies.
- Telephone & Fax.
- Other operating supplies.
- Administration & General.
- Human resources.
- Sales & Marketing.
- Management Fees etc.
- Concierge - Umbrella borrow log book / tracking sheet format
- Pest Control Log Book / Sheet
- SOP - Housekeeping - Pest Control
- Identifying Guest Needs and Providing Anticipatory Service
- SOP - Front Office - Walked Guests
- SOP - Front Office - Bill to company or Direct billing
- Concierge - Placard / Paging Board for guest pickup
- Opera ver 5 - Income audit
- Hello....Find below list of opera reports....
- Reasons for Guest Returning to hotel
- 1. Anticipates guest's needs during their stay2....
- marketing assignment
- f you could kindly help me by giving me some notes...
- Hotel Owner Representative action plan
- Check out the below Hotel Pre-opening Checklist...
- Protel manual
- Hi All:Checkout the below online link for protel...
- USALI manual
- Hi Abu !What does USALI stands for ?Thanks
- Front Office P&P
- once I get one, I'll let u know :)
- Types of Interfaces for PMS / Hotel Softwares
- Hi Othaman,There are many vendors / companies...
- Function Keys in Protel
- Thanks eyan, we will be using Protel next month,...
- F&B departmental Budget
- Hi @Stder, nice to meet you :)I think if you can...